Military Firearm Restoration Corner

build on 93 from sarco

rjhans53

23 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

Just tossing out ideas.  You could put a shim between the barrel and the front of the receiver.  Or notch the barrel for the extractor. 

23 hours ago, inthe10ring said:

That being said about someone cutting the face of the c-ring makes sense. A simple  .700" diameter recess leaves some surface to torque to

Yes and Yes... the reason I am thinking to leave some of the "ring" on a Rem 700 bbl... I tried a Homemade spacer just to prove to myself it will work!!

Thanks appreciate all who care!!!

Many rifles have a spacer there.  Savage, for example uses it to headspace.  One of the gunsmiths that used to write a column in SGN had a series on a change-barrel Mauser.  I don't recall what calibers he used, but pretty much all based on the regular bolt head size for 30-06, 7mm, 308, etc.  I think he made 2 barrels, one 30-06 and the other 270.  Maybe more.  He made a threaded ring to lock the barrel in place like Savage does, with witness marks for the correct position/headspace.