Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Sten was a piece of junk!

FC

Yes, I saw that, but it was 50 yards and a single example.  Sub guns were never meant to be sniper rifles.  For room clearing, trenches, etc., it was certainly accurate enough. And I bet a bit of hammer/file work on the sights on that one would have put it closer to target.  Remember that there is no selector either.  It's all full auto, but if you're quick enough, single shots are possible.  Note the number of doubles shot in the video.

I wonder if the US Grease Gun fared any better in accuracy?? My former father in law a WW2 engineer cussed them gladly giving his up for an M1 Carbine. He said something to the effect. You couldn’t hit a dam thing with them. The Brits were in desperate need of anything that could spit lead down range fearing a German invasion. I can’t recall the numbers but the Sten was remarkably cheap to build. 

• 2 months later...

The British SOE provided lots of Stens to resistance fighters during WWII because they were cheap and easy to use. But they weren’t particularly reliable. During the assassination of Heydrich in Prague, one of the Czech attackers’ Stens jammed and nearly caused the operation to fail: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_Reinhard_Heydrich

So not the greatest weapon, but if I were a partisan fighting Nazis, I probably would think it was beautiful.