Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Now the country will pay bigtime for Biden

FC

11 hours ago, FC said:

A funny comment I read: “Sure, the Russian Army has a lot of tanks, but do they have diversity training?”

Thx Tony, I have been feeling like sh!t recently after starting Chemo then catching Covid. I needed a good laugh and you provided it, THX!!

Reagan gave away weapons. Beats giving them to the Taliban! I absolutely detest Putin. He's a demon-possessed man, and I hate bullies! I’ve spent time over the last year looking at websites and videos about moving to other countries, and Ukraine was one of them. It’s a poor country, and cheap, but the language barrier, and Russian threat pretty much eliminated that choice.

Ukraine has always been a very poor, corrupt place.  The two go together.  Part of Russia for a couple hundred years.  And the "breadbasket of Europe."  Lots of grains, wheat in particular.  The democrat party was using it as a money laundering center for the last decade or so.  Not a good candidate to ex-pat in.

I will admit I gave retiring and moving some thought as well.  Having been around the world 3 times in the 80's, I've seen a bit of it.  I came down to Argentina or Israel.  Then COVID hit and Israel went all in on the vax.  Argentina was sort of pushing it too.  Incidentally, all these little countries pushing it so hard?  The IMF told them to, free "loan" money, etc.  Anyway, once COVID blows over, those two are still about the best places I've visited. 

Panama is (or was in the 80's) nice.  I've been to the north west corner many times and I would consider living there.  Back then, you could buy a small house for $500.  Problems:  Corruption, which is sort of everywhere anyway, crime was really bad in the big city (Panama City,) but not really a problem at all where I was.  And it is HOT.  Really HOT.  I mean, walk outside without a shirt on for 30 minutes and you will be burned to a crisp hot.  Haven't been to Uruguay, but Buenos Aires was really nice.  The people there were all friendly and everything was very European-like.  It is also the only other place in the world that I have been where I could have walked into a gun store, put down my money and walked out with a gun.  I think today you have to show some ID.  Problems with Argentina are money, government, sort-of frequent coups or whatever, and the big city is said to have a crime problem as well.  We did actually have our bridge clock stolen there.  Brazil was also very nice, but very "young" feeling.  That is, all the people are quite young.  As long as you stay out of the bad parts, Rio was a fantastic place.  Other parts of Brazil (along the coast) were also nice. 

In the end, I sort of decided that Arkansas was about as good as any place else.  We are deep in "flyover" country and while being a college town, Fayetteville is a tad "woke," but the rest of the area is not. 

On 2/25/2022 at 5:21 AM, karlunity said:

If you mean  SELL  not  us pay  and  give   I agree

karl

That will never happen but they can get a good deal from the Afghanis on American arms. If what my high school teacher said is correct. No country, Briton especially reimbursed us for the arms we sent them in WW2. My teacher claimed the only country that paid us back for WW2 debt was Finland.

During the war the Brits begged for civilian weapons with a promise to make every effort to return them after the war. With just a few exceptions when a few Brits on their own returned them. The UK govt rounded them up and destroyed them. According to my first father in law. He claimed his dad carved his name and address into the stock of a sported Krag, along with some ammo and donated it. He never got as much as a card or letter or the rifle returned. 

The Fins did pay us but that was WW l  not WW ll.

Your dad was right. The Brits lied and did indeed destroy them...the add was "Send a gun to defend a british home."

The Russian revolution scared hell out of the upper class brits ( royal euros in general) so they did all they could and still do to diarm the plebs

I don't like a lot of heat, so Panama may be out. Argentina has terrible inflation, but I guess wouldn't affect the dollar too much. The problem I read with Uraguay was that the cost to get electronics, and such, shipped to you is quite high. This offsets other savings. I'm told Peru is okay. Chile would be good, but there's periodically tin-plated dictatorships springing up there. Ecuador is run by one family, I've read. Belize has crime. Pick your poison, I guess. 

Fayetville, Ark., I guess is the Walmart town, and on the HGTV show. Nice looking area.  St. Joseph, MO, looks really beautiful with the rolling hills, but wife says NO to snow country.

I've traveled through and stayed in St. Jo a bunch of times.  I think it's nice, but that's just "traveling through."  The Drury Inn there is fantastic, and one of our favorite stops.  It's a short-ish bike ride from there to home.  NW AR is WMT country, certainly.  HQ is in Bentonville, about 20 minutes north of Fayetteville.  The closer to Bentonville you get, the more expensive the property gets.  Don't know about the HGTV show.  We don't get much snow.  Usually just a couple days at a time.  It's all melted now.  And not having the Texas heat is a big advantage. 

My friend goes down to Peru a lot.  He buys local crafts there to sell at renaissance festivals.  He really likes it down there, but lives north of Houston.

Here's one to think about:  Suriname.  It is so far off the radar, nobody even can find it on a map.  Technically, I think it is still part of The Netherlands.  It's going to have that "hot" problem.  I've been to their neighbors, Venezuela, and it was seriously "HOT" there.  We were going to go ashore, but after walking across the dock area, we gave up and headed back to the ship.  It might have been as bad as Louisiana.

On 2/28/2022 at 6:17 AM, FC said:

Some Americans move to the Columbian mountains, where it's cooler, but I don't think I want to be in a druggie country. Those Americans who moved to Nicaragua sure have Ortega problems now!

Seems to me I recall reading about some innocent America tourists that were forced to smuggle Cocaine back to the USA. The Colombians kidnapped and held their teenage daughter as a hostage until they did the deed.