Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Best Cold Blue?

Guest RooterTooterShooter

Guest RooterTooterShooter

I slow rust blued my previous 5 mauser projects, but on my current project (a full stocked manlicher carbine with butter knife bolt handle in 7x57) I'd like to try a cold blue, just for convenience. I know many people tend to disparrage cold blue, but I want to give it a try. I recently reblued the barrel on a cheap .22 with Oxpho blue cream applied with steel wool and was encouraged by the results, but I've never tried it on a whole rifle. Has anyone had experince with the different cold blue products, and which one is the best?

RTS, Over the years I think I've tried them all. There is no question that Oxpho is the absolute best. I prefer the liquid. There are various thoughts on application, most agree that warming the surface helps. I keep a 1/2 pint, wide-mouthed jar of the stuff on a shelf above my bench that is used to "dunk" smaller parts. Its particularly useful for screws. Another tip is to saturate the work with mineral oil (or YOUR favorite gun lube) and let it stand at least a day after the desired finish is achieved. Wipe the excess oil off with paper towels. Those rough brown ones used in public buildings seem to work better than the kitchen variety. I think there is a thread on this subject under the "tips" section.

Good results demand a top notch polish job and total degreasing - as does any good blue job - and many disparagers of Oxpho can be traced to failure to prepare the piece. I use lacquer thinner to degrease. Be sure to degrease your steel wool first, if that's what you use to "card" the job. Though its not the preferred method, I've done several whole guns with Oxpho and have been satisfied with the results. Also of note, a friend who is a master gunsmith and is in "the business" once had a Winchester lever gun in the shop for hot bluing. The receiver (as they're famous for) refused to go black, instead coming out with a purplish-redish hue. This saga went on for weeks. After numerous frustrating attempts to "fix" the problem (this included consultation with the techis at Brownells) one day I suggested trying Oxpho. The receiver was degreased and Oxpho applied in several applications that finally brought the receiver to the correct color!

Its not a replacement for more complex bluing methods and compounds but it is the closest you'll come without considerable expense in equipment and/or time.

I picked up a bottle of Van's cold blue at a gun show last year and have been very happy with the results. Blue almost looks like heated metal. Keep working it in and it gets darker. Works good to blend in touch up spots.

I believe Van's is made somewhere around the Duluth MN area. One of the family members was manning the booth.

I've used the various Birchwood Casey stuff and it usually works pretty good. The paste is nice to keep the stuff in one spot.

Thorough degreasing is the key. I still have to find a better degreaser. I'll have to try the laquer thinner.

Van's is a black oxiding solution. It will not deter corrosion. I had a mild steel bar that I sanded a bit and then coated half with Van's. Nice dark gray color. Then I put the bar outside my back door and checked it over the next week. Both sides rusted.

One of these days (when I think of it, can find the stuff and have a few minutes) I'm going to strip the bar, polish it and apply Van's and the cold blues I have and conduct the experiment again. I may even try a "2 coat" of vans followed by a cold blue...

Farmall