Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My Son wanted a longer barrel on his Single Six

z1r

My son shot my 9.5" Single Six and loved the long barrel. So, given his penchant for longer barrels, I rebarreled his single six using a 10/22 barrel that I shortened, threaded, indexed the sight, cut a new forcing cone, and drilled and tapped for the ejector rod housing.  Finished out at 11.5" of pure fun.

I didn't take any pics of the single six project but these pics of my rebarreling a 45 Vaquero are essentially the same:

Start by making a barrel bush for the vise out of 1.75" aluminum bar stock.

sgTJESc.jpg

Bore the hole to appropriate size for the barrel, then split the bushing.

7ciSqc2.jpg

wchFfxl.jpg

Make inserts for the action wrench to fit the frame:

RBrLPYs.jpg

AetvhYk.jpg

Measure to get your shank length to establish proper cylinder gap:

C1ty987.jpg

After timing sight, cut new forcing cone and trim shank to achieve .002" cylinder gap.

Vimw3Kb.jpg

End result:

NCIayRr.jpg

Single Six.jpg

... My Bitter half was lookin over my Shoulder, and exclaimed that she was led to believe that the 9.5 bbl on her 32, was all that we could get!!!

I gotta watch what she sees on my Computer!!!!!

^^^ IDK... at what point is it Overkill???

I may have rifles with shorter barrels... but... I don't like 10" barrels on Contenders either...

Certainly Interesting ...I'll give ya that!!!!

Overkill can be Fun... Hell... I have an 8 second DragBike!!!!

Sorry Z.... I don't do Scopes on 22's tho... ever since I got that 10" Contender barrel... The one that never... Ever, misses... we use it to "test" ... is it me? or the gun"

Or is that a 256??

Matters Not... a good lookin Rig anyway!!

This one's a .22, just happened to luck into a box of .256's for my contender at the same time.

My 9.5" will consitently break clay pigeons at 75 yds with the open sights but the scope increases that to 100 even with the short barrel.

Back when I was shooting my Contenders, my 223 Super 14 barrel with a 3-9 extended eye relieve Burris was really something.  At 100 yards, I would shoot the center out of a clay pigeon, leaving the ring intact, then shoot the ring.  I got 2 targets out of one that way.

Yup Contenders shoot... My 7TCU 10" with that Burris scope... will shoot like that... on a good (great) day even with my Cast!!!!!

BTW  My 10" 357 Herrett (AKA 357 FireBall) will outshoot any other firearm I gots... But is is a to shoot for very many rounds...