Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Swede 94

Horsefly

On 4/26/2022 at 5:35 PM, Horsefly said:

Brother brought me a 94 yesterday to sporterize. He thought it was a cut down 96. Stock had been cut though. 

How bout some pics?

Is it a short barreled 94 carbine?  I don't know what your brother payed for it but, you should take a look at what they are going for on ebay before you start sporterizing it.

For reasons unknown to me,  intact Mauser rifles have become too valuable to sporterize. IMHO, unless  you just really want a sporterized sweede, I'd buy an old Remington, Savage, or Ruger  to customize. 

Over the years I have amassed a collection of various mauser rifles with the idea of supplementing my retirement by building sporters.

When the inflated cost of new barrels, stocks, triggers is taken into account I will be well ahead financially to just sell the rifle to another collector.

That said, I have 2 rifles in the works now, a 416 Taylor on a commercial Zastava action and a 257 Roberts on a 93.  :)

Yep, 17” barrel carbine. Unless they come on market for 100 bucks in near future, this’un is just for rubbing on and admiring. Someday I may luck into uncut stock.