Military Firearm Restoration Corner

8% inflation moment

FC

Yep  but hey we gave 300 billion or so in foreign aid , gotta save the world and  we may lose the income from the Petrodollar. Cannot raise tax too much Pols may end out of work...So they gota inflate.  Older than Rome. Hang on pal. The ride is just starting.

karl

PS  I just read that the Dept of Education is canceling billions in student loan debt. As banks DON'T lose money,,We are going to get that bill as well

The student loan debt is around 1,500 Billion Dollars.  Dropping a few billion is nothing on that.  We already have the bill.  Something like 40% or more were in default, last I looked.  Probably closer to 60-80% in default or deferment.

Truth,  Ah but now it seems official that we got the bill, One is given to wonder If those "educated ones" know that their payment is just delayed?

A billion is $1000,000.000 and at last reports we owed 35.000,000,000,000, Of course if we conquer China to whom we own a lot of that money,  a very large part of our debt goes away.

Hum. I have read that the "avg" US income about 50K seems a bit high  but that is what the net reports  so a billion is about 20.000 homes.times that by 1000 and then by 35 let me know what you get as my calculator does not go that high. Still gotta send AID to the EU Gotta save the world.

karl

I know a nice teacher who got a doctorate in education. Guess what? I think it was $170,000 in student loans got paid off by some sort of aide. I can't remember what it was. Anyway, why would a teacher get into that kind of debt to get a doctorate?

They also have the "Everyone EXCEPT Dr.Hess" rules.  Physicians loans are specifically excluded from this.  I paid mine off 5 or 10 years ago, so wouldn't affect me anyway, but still, all the rules are "Everyone EXCEPT Dr.Hess."   No more register for the draft?  Not for Dr.Hess.  Retire at 65 with SS?  Not for Dr.Hess.

I have two relatives that got Uncle Sam to foot the bill for a good portion of their education. One is a MD and her husband a lawyer. They both had to give six years to the Army after getting their degree. My lawyer nephew was sweating it out as he didn’t pass the New York bar exam until his second attempt. Had he not passed it the second time he would have owed major bucks. He told me Army looked favorably on the NY bar exam as it supposed to be the hardest in the USA. 

I had a coworker really struggle getting his daughter through medical school. They sold their house and moved into an older mobile home. Him and his wife a legal secretary drove junkers. Every night as soon as he clocked out he went through the trash cans collecting aluminum cans. For $3.00 every two weeks he made sure the contributors in our station had fresh coffee every morning. Him and his wife moonlighted for a catering service. He once used his three week vacation time selling encyclopedias door to door to raise money for his daughter’s school books. About 1989 or 90 he came to work bragging and showing off a $100 check his daughter sent. She finished school and got a job as an ER Dr somewhere in Minnesota. Doc I have no idea what medical school cost in the 80s, probably chump change compared to today. Besides what the couple contributed he told me his daughter still owed thousands for student loans he intended to help her pay off.  

Yes, quite a dad.

Can't say for other states, but in Texas, which had at least 7 medical schools, tuition was the same as the regular state universities, which for residents was very reasonable.  When I started medical school (UTMB) in 1993, I hit, again, the "Everybody but Hess" rule and tuition went from about $500/semester to >$10K/semester.