Military Firearm Restoration Corner

14.5mm anti-personnel "Alligator" rifle

FC

On 7/7/2022 at 5:20 PM, FC said:

Reminds me of shooting a slug out of a choked single shot bolt action shotgun! Ouch!

About 20 years ago on New Year’s eve. During the noise and fireworks starting at midnight. I had some WW2 dated 12 gauge flares. I foolishly shot a flare in an old Stevens 12 ga single shot shotgun with a full choke. When I shot I heard a primer pop and a small amount of paper debris shot out the barrel .I very mistakenly assumed it was a just dud and headed back inside to get another flare. Just as I headed back inside about 30 seconds later. The moment I touched the door knob.I heard a load phoomp as the flare ignited but was stopped by the full choke. As the flare burned inside the barrel near the muzzle. The heat from the flare caused the barrel to turn cherry red near the muzzle. Fearing the wood forend might burn up from the heat. I struggled but finally managed to remove the forend stock using a baker’s mitt. I  leaned the shotgun outside against a barbecue to let it cool off as the entire barrel was way to hot to handle. The following morning everything was still intact.. The area where the barrel turned red from the heat. The bluing was gone and it was down to bare metal. I was pleasantly surprised as the burned paper crud and unburned powder flakes were easily removed. 

Several months later on opening day of Dove season. I removed the choke tube from my O/U, coated the threads with high temp wheel bearing grease then shot a flare. The  parachute failed to open and it descended near some tumble weeds. My friend and I ran to it before a desert wildfire started and stomped out a burning tumbleweed. To avoid the temptation to shoot anymore flares. I gave away the remainder of the flares to a gun show acquaintance that was into collecting WW2 militaria and re-enactments.