Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Outdoors sports not dying

FC

In the last five years the number of Cabellas, Sportsman's Warehouse's, Bass Pro Shops, online Sportsman's Guide, and to a lesser extent, Gander Mountain, have exploded. Why? There is a huge market for guns, muzzleloaders, fishing, archery, and the like. Five years ago there was no Cabellas except in Nebraska. Now I have seen over the last weekend, such shops in KS City, Ft. Worth, Wichita, Round Rock, TX, and Austin (liberal haven of TX).

Five years ago who had Curio and Relic licenses? Who had conceal-carry licenses?

Take heart!

While there are more people with C&R licenses today, there are fewer people with class 01 FFLs. Many went from one to the other, to avoid the hassle involved in today's requirements to keep a class 01.

Others, more recently, have learned the benefits of the C&R license and have obtained one. The discounts and time saved shopping more than pay for it. And the record keeping is very simple, especially for those who do not buy many rifles for their collection. The parts discount alone is worth it.

Concealed carry licenses were a big thing when they were finally allowed by the Texas legislature, and I have not heard of a single case of a misuse serious enough to cause any liberal lawmaker to try to stop the issuance of them.

Funny that you mentioned the concealed carry license. I must get mine one of these days, I have trained others to get one but never did take the test myself. But I have had a recurring dream (here we go again) for many years now, about me in a situation where I am carrying a gun in a place I am supposed to not have one. Like walking down the street with a .45 strapped on my hip, when suddenly I realize what I am doing. I start to worry (sweat in my sleep) and try to conceal it. This dream takes different angles, but always the same guilt about carrying a pistol where I should not.

I never use the pistol in my dreams, but constantly find myself trying to hide it when I realize what I am doing. The CCW license would really be a help, and just might stop this weird dream.

But dreams are fun. Half the fun of going to sleep is the dreams that await me.

Looks like bedtime, see you later (hopefully not in my dreams).

fritz

Damn, fritz. I thought you could walk about anywhere in Texas with a 45 in plain view. What are you sweating for?

But I think everyone who can should be packing whenever possible. They make it pretty easy here in NC. I do believe that an armed society is a polite society. And a polite society is a safe society.

I hate to disagree but I think the criteria you are basing your conclusion on is deceptive. Sporting goods store, FFL's etc. are a good indicator of activity in "the sports" and, yes, the health of same but our crux is recruitment.

The average participant in "the sports" is a white male between 45 and 55 years of age. That is to say the largest user group. That said, they are also in the age group with the greatest disposable income to devote to their hobby and typically have been involved in it long enough to have developed the interest in the stores and activities you quote. The facts are indisputable though that recruitment of young people has been on the decline since the mid-seventies. If you think about that date, perhaps you will agree with me that it coincides with two major detractors from recruitment of young people with limited funds and time - the crash of small game populations and the rise of computers and video games.

Most of us who developed an interest in hunting did so on small game - rabbits, squirrels and upland birds. While the upland game populations have suffered drastic decline over the last thirty+ years, as well as places to hunt them, we have also seen a concentration on deer hunting. Modern deer hunting is largely much more expensive per man/hour than small game hunting. Not only in equipment but the recent advent of "lease hunting." This detracts from satisfaction - fewer animals bagged (an undeniable factor in "hooking" novices) as well as more time invested per shot taken. Compared to action-packed video games, hours and days spent on a deer stand without a shot is boring! Add to this the equipment needed, maybe a hunting fee in addition to licenses and tags, typical cold temperatures, and the modern emphasis on instant gratification...

Small game hunting is typically more active - walking rather than sitting. There are typically more shots taken. The limits are larger and you can take a limit every day of the long season. Not so with deer. Yeah deer seasons are long and limits are liberal today, but those limits are largely antlerless deer with one or two bucks per "season" (rifle, M/L, archery). Then of course the emphasis is on taking a "Big Buck" failing that, satisfaction declines for the novice.

I've been instructing novice hunters for over ten years and I'd guess ( I have no hard data) that at least 50% of those eager students under 15, all hepped up to shoot their first deer will give up the sport within five years. Typically they want to spend time afield with a loved one. As interests change (girlfriends/ boyfriends, jobs, school, etc.) they drift away. Some come back later but not the numbers we need to sustain "the sports." Partly its urbanization of our population. Partly its the instant gratification of video games, partly its the game department's emphasis on deer and deer hunting and partly its our own fault for various reasons. The results though cannot be denied. Can the decline be reversed? Maybe, but I don't have the answer.

The outdoor sports are alive and well. It is a profitable venue but they are undeniably dieing a very slow death. When we eventually reach the point where our detractors can push us aside, they will.

I still hold the optimistic view. Think about who knows how many people who have conceal-carry licenses, and the draw of cowboy action shooting on new shooters. It is a sizeable dent. Hunting numbers are probably stagnated, but who knows?

Upland birds- up. Pheasant hunting now is vastly better than in the 1970's, and duck and goose populations are way up over 1940. Deer numbers are the same. Cost is a detractor on larger game, but not so on game accessible through CRP lands. Yeah, computer use is up, and I acknowledge that, but not neccesarily at the detriment of hunting. The biggest factor for hunting is the will and ability to find a place to go. Just shooting- it is not hard to find a range. Keeping good ranges are a challenge in certain areas of the country, but in the last five years I know of 5 new ranges, and only one was shut down.

Bottom line on any passion- realistic expectations, but if you can't be optimistic you've probably already lost the battle.

"Upland birds- up. Pheasant hunting now is vastly better than in the 1970's, and duck and goose populations are way up over 1940. Deer numbers are the same. Cost is a detractor on larger game, but not so on game accessible through CRP lands."

Excellent point, however it is only true in those parts of the country with the lower human populations! Upland birds are in serious trouble in most of the areas with easy access to the most people.

Waterfowl numbers fluctuate wildly and right now we are at a high, but waterfowling is one of the most expensive of the sports to get involved in with specialized clothing, boots, decoys, boats,etc... Waterfowling was my passion for many years and I devoted much of my life that would have been better spent elsewhere to it. Its exciting but not conducive to low-budget recruitment.

Other small game - rabbits, squirrels, etc. - are still plentiful but the longer deer seasons often put small game hunters at conflict with deer hunters. Many simply don't go because "the woods are full of deer hunters."

I have never been a fan of competition shooting for novices simply because being a novice they are likely to be intimidated by the advanced shooters, their specialized (and expensive) equipment and particularly, their high score. This leads to disappointment fast and a waning interest. Not surprisingly some of the "fun" sports such as sporting clays where friends can shoot together without the pressure of high competition, are among the most popular among new shooters.

I don't want to sound like I'm giving a eulogy for the sports. I to hope for the best. To turn things around though will take something nobody has found yet. I wouldn't continue to volunteer my time to recruit and train new shooters if I thought it was fruitless. It is frustrating though. The secret, if there is one, I think is to make time spent with your gun a fun experience. When it becomes more like a job - tough competition or long gameless hours on stand - the less devoted tend to drop out and it is they we need the most! It is the fringe who can go either way we will need when it comes to a referendum.

I can't argue with that. Cowboy action was fun, but I can't wear just earplugs and preserve my hearing. Earmuffs are really frowned upon. It was fun though, and really low pressure to score. A lot of CAS shooters don't care how well they shoot.

My brother, the Austin detective, said that the new law in TX now is that if you are traveling, and that is loosely defined, you can have a gun in the vehicle.

Tony, that is not a new law. Not by a long shot.

The law on traveling goes back to the days of the horseback riders and the saddlebags on their mounts. Towns were pretty far apart (the county seat was supposed to be within one day's ride).

The law (which was never officially changed, but modified with the CCW permits) still permits a "traveler" to have a pistol in his saddlebag (car) but it must remain in the saddlebag (car) when he stops for the night. The pistol can be loaded and on the seat beside him.

What constitutes a "traveler" is the big question. And it don't necessarily mean a certain number of counties he crosses. If, for example, a fellow regularly works (commutes) to a place several counties distant (not uncommon today), he is not considered a "traveler".

He must be traveling, on business or pleasure, to a place he does not normally go. A rule of thumb is two counties, but I stress here it can be interpreted differently by different law enforcement agencies.

We all know that a policeman does not know all the laws, please do not ever get that impression. It is the DA that will prosecute you, and he knows the law. So you may be a "traveler" under the grey law of Texas, and still have to answer to a judge.

The CCW law made it easier to avoid the hassle, but I still believe the state really likes the revenue from the license fee! It's easy to overlook that fact when one is so thankful that Texas finally entered into reality.

I could go on and on about this law, but for anyone who has a class 01 or class 03 FFL, just look it up in the Texas section of the booklets the BATFE sends you.

fritz

What else are you gonna fill up your garage with?

I think a lot of this is what an old girlfriend of mine called Retail Therapy.

Acquisition.

And a lot of this stuff, it's pleasurable just knowing it's out there in the garage.

The stuff has a symbolic appeal as much as a utilitarian appeal.

How often do we use it?

Do you think camping and hunting--or the gear--are symbols of freedom?

flaco

What else are you gonna fill up your garage with?

I think a lot of this is what an old girlfriend of mine called Retail Therapy.

Acquisition.

And a lot of this stuff, it's pleasurable just knowing it's out there in the garage.

The stuff has a symbolic appeal as much as a utilitarian appeal.

How often do we use it?

Do you think camping and hunting--or the gear--are symbols of freedom?

flaco

9488[/snapback]

What's the Old Yuppie war cry? He who dies with the most toys is the winner biggrin.gif

But seriously I live on a 20'000 acre property & 4 years ago when my Wife & kids moved over to live with me none of them had ever been out of a city enviroment ! My wife hated firearms with a passion & Had to learn it was firearms that earned me a living (My brother is the Farmer ) These days I have to hide the keys of my safe so she dose'nt lay claim to anymore Of my" tools" The Kids have Their own Car (minus doors ,Windscreen ) That they use to go out for a shot ! The youngest is now 9 & only shoots under supervision ! WE did away with the Vidio games (Wicked Old step father me ) I've spent over thirty years sleeping out under the sky & cooking on a open fire & the kids are all taking to this like a duck to water ! We asked em what they wanted for Xmas & it was a case of Camping gear !WE are always getting can so& so come out for the weekend ? I supervise any shooting then ! But I would like to think I'm doing my Bit to help the next gereration of Hunter shooters!

Dave

Dave,

20,000 acres, a car, shoot all the time! Wicked Step-Dad or not, when can I move in? biggrin.gif  Your kids are living my dream.

Swamprat

9616[/snapback]

As Soon as I can sell em to a passing White slave trader! dry.gif I need the proceeds to finish a couple of unfinnished projects ! It's got to the point round here that I feel like the one who was born in the City & they were born out here! ohmy.gif It's scary when your 12yr old Step son says that he wants to be a Pro shooter when he get's older (whilst gazing into your safe)

Dave