Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Best way to polish rough metal

bubbamauser

If your talking about the rails along the bottom where the metal if rougher than a wood haulers arse,use a large rattail file.I had an old,wore out sorta fine rattail that I heated and bent on one end for a handle,and it took it down enough to stone out the rest of the marks.If that is the part your working on,everybody will tell you not to worry about it,'cause it won't show,but I just can't stand all that roughness on an action you want to look as good as a commercial rig.Those Yugo's are some of that rough in areas hidden in the stock,at least the 2 I have are.Hope you can figure out a way to polish her out,just don't give up.Jerry

No good on really rough stuff but for finishing it off in those tough to reach places (maybe after using the dremel stones) get some cratex wheels and points. Midway (I think) has em on sale as cheap as I've seen em... which they aren't, but they sure are handy when nothing else will do. Use a gentle touch with em though because they will leave a wavy surface otherwise.

On my Turk I used black oxide sandpaper that I bought at Ace Hardware. I did not polish anything inside of the receiver, but it worked well on the barrel, bolt and receiver. There are some scratches on the rails in my receiver, but they are not very noticeable now that it is blued. I didn't want to make the bolt any sloppier than it has become in the last 60 years. I tried to use my dremel on some places and all it did was make waves. I started with 220 grit and worked up to 600. You can get paper up to 1500 grit. At 600 I am very pleased with the way my gun looks. The paper lasts longer if you wet sand, but it is not as strong.

I cant stone some of the areas on a m48 that is really rough  and the wheel isn't doing much any ideas on abrasives, compounds or wheels. the dremmel stones and sanding bits are only making it worse. I am using a  hf 6" buffing wheel and white rouge

Thanks

9818[/snapback]

I start with 60 grit sandpaper wrapped around a short piece of wooden dowel, as close to size of the curve as I can get. Work down from there...

I cant stone some of the areas on a m48 that is really rough  and the wheel isn't doing much any ideas on abrasives, compounds or wheels. the dremmel stones and sanding bits are only making it worse. I am using a  hf 6" buffing wheel and white rouge

Thanks

9818[/snapback]

There are some small flapper wheels available that would do except in the tightest spots.