Military Firearm Restoration Corner

MLK B'day

FC

I'm not sure, but to celebrate MLK birthday, am I supposed to do like the guy yesterday and hold my privates while I walk around Walmart? No, don't think M.L. King Jr. would have made such a display.

BTW, the beloved Robert E. Lee's birthday is Jan. 19. Robert E. Lee collection of letters

Edit- I remembered long ago that Paul Harvey said that MLK committed adultery? So I looked it up. Will the real MLK please stand up

Saying that all Americans should be treated fairly is one thing and King was right to say so. However his later turn to the "left" is imho proof that he was becoming strongly under the control of the commies.

As far as "borrowing" concepts the whole idea for his movement was lifted from Ghandi.

Karl

I was aware of MLK's indescretions, but not the communism. Compared to the folks Uncle Tom brings-up I'd argue that he was a great man.

Black society is in desperate need of a good leader. The problem is that they don't seem to want a good leader (like Alan Keyes would be).

I forget his name, but the minister in Dallas who is on the radio is really good. I was glad to hear Bill Cosby say it like it is a year ago.

I was aware of MLK's indescretions, but not the communism.  Compared to the folks Uncle Tom brings-up I'd argue that he was a great man.

Black society is in desperate need of a good leader.  The problem is that they don't seem to want a good leader (like Alan Keyes would be).

9914[/snapback]

Yup, that's the guy!

FC,

Is the minister to whom you refer "Tony Evans"?

My wife and I saw him once.  Powerful speaker and appears to be very sound in spite of the high profile position that he is in.

9922[/snapback]

Well, Monday is MLK Day and mrs fritz gets the day off from her state job. We won't be marching in San Antonio, instead both of us have a dentist appointment in Karnes City (about 50 miles from SA.)

Have you heard of the stink created by some of the marchers, where they say they are going to boycott this year's march?

They do not like the planned fly-over by jets from Randolph AFB. They claim that the jets represent war, bombs, etc. that Doktor King was against this sort of thing.

But there will be the fly-over because enough of the organizers said that the jets represent our freedom (thus our pursuit of peace, just as MLK did).

Those who will not boycott the march say they will wear a yellow ribbon or bandanna.

Now, that will be a very colorful march.

That isn't too racist is it? Besides, I'm color blind. I would not be able to tell if they wore yellow or red.

And that's the truth.

fritz

"Black society is in desperate need of a good leader"

I strongly disagree with this statement. You see "African-AMERICANS" already have a good leader. His name is GEORGE W. BUSH! America, the land of diversity, has many cultural and ethnic differences but if we are all truly AMERICANS regardless of hyphens, we must all have the same leader whether we like or agree with him (or her) or not. In four years we get the chance to choose another!

Ethnic pride is one thing. Racial (or religious) separation is a whole nother issue. Claiming special privileges for a minority group IS NOT equal rights! It IS NOT righting a former wrong! It is simply discrimination by another name. Call me an angry white man if you please but in reality I am simply "a rational person." Look-up "equal" in any dictionary and it will say nothing about special privileges. Special privileges (quotas, etc.) is actually contrary to the whole concept of "equal."

I don't begrudge MLK his personal indiscretions. The most rightous among us has sinned. His core message though, was and still is rightous - all men are equal. Unfortunately that message seems to have died with the man.

As a side note; this morning I instructed two black men (inmate sanitation trustees) who were working for me that because it is Sunday of a holiday week-end they could do the minimum needed and go back to bed. They talked quietly among themselves for several minutes then one asked me, "what holiday is it?" huh.gif

we are all truly AMERICANS regardless of hyphens, we must all have the same leader

I think you're right, MB. That's a very good point. Hopefully we can make rapid progress toward this goal.

Right now though, it seems like racial problems in this country are due to a type of philisophical segregation. I think leadership will be required to eliminate these barriers. To be effective, I think this leadership will have to come from within the segregated factions - somehow.

We certainly need to move away from a system that incentivizes being "disadvantaged" and "underrepresented". Incentives reinforce and promote these conditions.

Boy, I might get into trouble posting this idea...but I just suggested to Jason that it's important to have an open forum...

Leaders have a high standard.

I think this is the essential racial problem. We have a society comprised of different groups with different standards. Relative to other relevant leaders, MLK may have been doing an exceptional job maintaing moral standards.

I think Alan Keyes would do a much better job, but he stands a snowball's chance of popular support.

Liberals are trying very hard to bring societal standards down. We need to bring them up where needed.

So, should we celebrate this man? Despite his problems (which everyone I know fights constantly) he really did accomplish remarkable things for his time. I wish people would take some time to read his speeches and what he wrote. His ideas were certainly much more in-line with what has become accepted general thought in this country as apposed to the malcontent retoric of today's black "leaders".

What I find disturbing is that today the United States of America, the country that has the word God printed on all it's currency, gives more mention to Dr. King on his birthday than it does to Jesus Christ on his birthday.

I'm just chewing the cud here, but are there any others who feel a bit disturbed on things like this (that are becoming far too frequent)?

I have been watching the Spurs basketball game, and the halftime was devoted to a huge praise on Dr. King.

I don't remember such a devotion to Jesus expressed by the media on his birthday (during the halftimes that day, or the day before or the day after).

Or ever.

fritz

Well, I guess when we get up in the mornng and read the newspaper, there will not be the entire front page, the back page, the pages in between, talking about Docktor King.

And when they play another professional sports game on ESPN, maybe, just maybe there will be no mention of the good doktor.

But I was reminded today that Dr. King was largely responsible for all the black athletes in pro sports today.

And I guess that is why the media gave his birthday all the significance at halftime.

More than they gave our saviour Jesus.

But I forget, Dr. King is our saviour. The newspaper said so. So I guess it must be true.

God help us.

fritz