Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Any projects ???

Horsefly

I have got some good stuff dumpster diving over the years.  I worked at a place in a block of offices that had the dumpster off on the side and people would come dump things.  I've got a brand new refrigerator, sort of super-dorm size, a couple hundred dollars worth of stainless steel, and a lot more.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jeremy;

Appreciate your Service, and your suggestions.. Will keep an eye out!

The extractor I have seems "pliable", not springy like I expect it to be...like it did Not get Tempered??

I have made my own Springs, but am very hesitant to try my (amateur) hand at tempering such a piece!!

In the mean time...I need to weld on a Bolt Handle...Will probably revive a Thread for Such...

Marty:

It was my pleasure and honor to serve. 

I'd really like to see some posts with pictures of the tools, jigs and written descriptions of your methods. If you don't mind sharing.

Jeremy

Oh...If I get the pictures and they are nearly visible...I will... My Methods are sometimes Crude, like my Tools!!

I have Few Problems tho...even tho I mainly "rescue" botched Mausers... and some Few other Homeless Firearms!!

Coming Summer just now...so gonna be Sparse..I have plenty to do in good Weather!!

Will Try

I have the same affliction. Rescuing the broken, cannibalized, orphaned, homeless and otherwise un-wanted guns is my purpose in life just like adopting stray animals is for others. I firmly believe that having a gun that doesn't go bang isn't worth having and staring at a wall hanger is as boring as watching paint dry. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have started another project. It is a Type 99 Arisaka orphan that I adopted a couple of years ago. It started as a barreled action that I bought just because I wanted to challenge myself. After more than a year of finding suitable parts. The real work has begun. It always starts as a pile of orphaned parts.

IMG_1194.thumb.jpg.f6cc3371a7b504f47d53c73e47ccfada.jpg

IMG_1196.thumb.jpg.6cbeacba6c30195a0119619f4ea2cdff.jpgIMG_1197.thumb.jpg.dfae2ec00009df166545a9d25c1b712c.jpgIMG_1198.thumb.jpg.11b6e7233d9463976bc94143955b5d40.jpg

I drilled and tapped for a scope and I must say that the receiver is as tuff as a witches heart. The pictures are for preliminary fit I still have to forge the bolt handle and lots of other work.

Jeremy

I've read that those Arisakas are the strongest of all Mauser type actions.  The destructive testing level it took to damage them was just crazy.  And the "stoopid" survival of the actions as well, like running 30-06 through them.  "Recoiled a lot more...."  What caliber are you going to make it?

Doc, I'm going to keep it in 7.7 i have the dies and a couple of boxes of vintage Norma brass to get started with and I can always make more brass from 30-06 brass. I had floated the idea of making it into a .338 Gibbs for which I have a Hart barrel that I got dirt cheap from a seller on flea bay who didn't know what he had. 

After receiving all of the large ring Mauser parts from my friend in Colorado who saved them from the trash so that has put me on the hunt for an orphaned large ring receiver to marry the .338 Gibbs barrel to. I'm only doing that because of the economy of labor and tooling. Besides I haven't built a rifle on a large ring receiver yet. 

Building rifles on small ring receivers is fun and like eating green M&M's all the time sometimes a man just wants a red or yellow one. Having some large ring Mauser's will open up many more possibilities for different chambering and aftermarket parts that are available for large ring Mauser sporter's.

Racepres, I could use another ejector/bolt stop the one I have the ejector retaining screw is in pretty rough shape. What would you need to have or trade for it? PM me with more information and I'll respond. Daddy day care calls I have to go for now.

Jeremy

That is a good score and it is a crap shoot as to what you get when dealing with parts and old receivers that have been cannibalized and the parts sold off. But I'll keep rolling the dice and inspecting very closely what I win.

Jeremy

Jeremy, I awhile I will dig out the Arisaka parts...maybe a Picture, if ya wanna PM me yer PH# It be easier to send ya pictures...If ya want em! Trades...I like Trades.... Mauser Parts...small ring and or of course large ring!! Bullet Casting "stuff", reloading "stuff"!!!

Harley Parts!!! LOL