Military Firearm Restoration Corner

We've all read about the kid in Florida

swamp_thing

The following quote taken from yahoo news states the the boy raised the gun at the deputy.

Seminole County Sheriff Don Eslinger said the boy was suicidal and couldn't be talked into surrendering the weapon. The teen was shot after he raised the gun at a deputy, Eslinger said.

My thoughta are this. There seems to be the usual news statements leaning towards the fact that the shooting was not necessary. They don't come completely out and say it, but they are working their way all around the subject. Also, the family of the boy had their attorney in on it from the start. I smell a lawsuit here as well.

I don't know what everyone else thinks on this, but if you take a gun of any kind into a school in these times and then take a hostage, followed by raising it at a deputy, you are going to get shot. How could anyone expect anything else of this situation. Maybe I am in the minority on this one, but as I see it once you draw done on someone you better be prepared for what happens next. So, what are your thoughts. swamp_thing

we had the exact same scenario here in spokane a few years ago. the kid took over the school with hostages and what not. when the swat team went in, he aimed a gun at them, and he was shot several times. the only bummer is he lived. he is in a wheelchair, mentally deficient (was shot in the head) and yes, his parents have sued. several times, i think. cant think of the outcome right now, but i know his dad thinks the cops should have shot him in the leg, or negotiated more, blah blah... no mention of his fault for not teaching his son right from wrong....

if you want to research it, try spokane Washington, lewis and clark high school shooting.

I really have to hand to the police these days. They are charged with the impossible task of enforcing the law, protecting us from ourselves, and trying not to get sued. The only problem with today's law enforcement is that they're not psychic and cannot see an event after the fact. I believe that these policemen were operating on the best information they had at the time and were doing what their traing told them was correct. And I cannot fault them for this.

Further, I have to agree with DT - lawsuits have gotten out of hand. I find it ridiculous that the parents would even have standing to sue the department because their son took a gun to school and pointed it at policemen. I'm sorry, but when I was a little kid I knew damn good and well that it was wrong take a gun of any kind to school and especially to point a gun at anyone. Little kids aren't nearly as ignorant as the world makes them out to be - misguided and easily confused yes, but they can still be taught right from wrong.

While I believe that it is terrible that this child was shot, I do not believe it is the police's fault. This was a terrible misunderstanding but the police were doing their job.

Everyone knows better than to aim a gun at someone charged with protecting the public.

The kid was, as the article said, "suicidal".

Everyone also knows that one of the "best" ways to commit suicide is "by police". That's what the kid did.

The parents need to lay off the law suits and get some therapy to figure out where they "failed" the kid, if indeed they did. All the law suits in the world don't bring people back, how is it that we as taxpayers have to pay stupid people who can't comprehend that?

I know I sound harsh here, but DANG, where's the responsibility, where's the common sense?

I worked in law enforcement for many years, and while I loved my work, I have no more love for peace officers than anyone else...but still...they are charged with an impossible task overall...all we can do is try to keep the bad ones out of the loop and forgive the good ones who have to live with things like shooting a kid who might have shot them for doing their jobs.

Guest Guest_karlunity_*

I don't Know. Seems to me that if I had body armor and a scope sighted rifle, I would not be in too much danger from a 9mm and I would be able to take the chance and put a round into the kid's leg.

Karl.

I don't Know. Seems to me that if I had body armor and a scope sighted rifle, I would not be in too much danger from  a 9mm and I would  be able to take the chance and put a round into the kid's leg.

Karl.

10019[/snapback]

It's a heart breaking tragedy, and a clear case of suicide by cop. The boy's out of the loop, but his parents and the officer will suffer the rest of their lives.

Nobody is taught to shoot for the leg. Not hunters, not soldiers, not cops.

Guess maybe you had to be there, Karl.

Brad