Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Schlitz Beer

Horsefly

My son found Schlitz at a liquor store in San Antonio. I drove a Schlitz truck for couple of years in ‘72 & ‘73 and didn’t care for it, but also had Old Mill that I did like. It’s made again by Miller/Coors but extremely hard to find. It’s fan-cotton-pickin-tastic. I drink too much beer just because I love the taste. Best beer I’ve had hands down in a long time. 

Back in the day, I think Schitz wasn't all that good.  Not as bad as Dixie, which was made in NOLA and HORRIBLE.  After Dixie went under (THANK GOD,) years later, the name was bought out and it became a specialty beer.  No idea what it tastes like today. 

Schlitz made Malt loquer as well as regular beer....as a teenager...I consumed more than my share

Jax ...In New Orleans...made Billy Beer...and of course "others" including...Jax...good enough,  and better than "regular Schlitz"

Strohs??? a Michigan Beer...great Laxative!! kinda like Budweiser for me..

But... what do I know .... Been Drinkin Busch Light... by the Truckload...since??? the late '80's...

I drink "cheap beer" outta the Can... turns out...I like the taste of the can!!!!

When I was a young man, the 2 college kids in the house behind me had a kegerator with a keg of Pearl on tap at all times.  Longest a keg ever lasted was < 1 week, shortest (without a party) was a couple days.  We would all chip in and get a keg of Pearl for about $22.  On tap, it really wasn't that bad.  Out of the bottle, yeah, a bit rough.

These days, I brew my own.  Hesselbrau.  I keg it.

Hesselbrau.thumb.jpg.1133665df669c9ce5c0fecfadaaaf077.jpg

5 gallons cost me about $25 or so.

Brewed  back in the 80's. Had the whole kit and a steel tank.  Nice   beer, but not done in the deserts  of Cal....Now? It is alas lite beer or  I hope PBR  if I can find it in bottles

See the problem is I no longer do the 10 mile runs..so if I drink real beer I tend to get fat. Before I had Kidney  C which in some ways was good : ) I was 240!!  Now 192 and I dont want to go back to 240.   I  drank Schlitz, Bud, even foxhead...that was bad. I gave a left over case to a lady to do her hair, Beer shampoo was it then. So you know foxhead was bad

karl

Pabst blue ribbon....Love it but cannot find it in bottles and dont like it in cans.. Upon reflection  I think  You may mean foxhead..If you never had it you are lucky. I have drunk most beers but Foxhead is the worst. In my school days back in the 70's it was 6 or 8 bucks a case. As students are by tradition poor   price was important. Before that as a marine I learned to drink anything..: )

karl

• 4 weeks later...

I was running into Okinawa for a while, on a tanker hauling JP4 and #2 Diesel.  When in port, I would go to the on-base club.  I think it was not an officer's club, probably some kind of non-com club.  As a civilian Radio Officer, I could sort of go anywhere I wanted to.  Anyway, they had Oly once and I was drinking it.  Next time I was there, the bar tender asked what I wanted and I said Oly.  "Ha, ha, ha...  We never have that...."  New turn around in Marines and the Oly wasn't being brought in anymore.  Oh, and the bar tender was a medic as his primary job.  Everyone there (they were all Marines) was trying to get on his good side so that if they got shot, he would come help them.

I suspect what those marines,  especially if they had been to Nam and back, had for the doc was respect. In battle ,docs even if  they are navy, are as brave as any marine.

The "doc" will go out to get you no matter what.

karl