Military Firearm Restoration Corner

MN 30-40 Krag

tinkerfive

Guys, Emmu

I was moving around some ammo when I pulled out an old box of 30-40 Krag and I

thought it looked an awful lot like the 7.62X54R.

If you have a .308 barrel laying around to rebarrel with I thought this might be an

option. Only of course if the classic round appeals to you. I don't want to hear about

how many 'fps' you are giving up. I'm just offering this as another idea.

The Krag base is .545 and the MN rim is .580.

I was looking for opinions if .0175 extra clearance would be an issue with the

Krag sitting in the MN bolt face.

I realize that you may need to fiddle with the extractor hook to get it to extract.

What I wanted to know was if you'd need to fill in (silver solder) the bolt face to

take up the extra clearance or if it was a non issue.

Tinker

C,

I think it would work. And I think it would be worth a shot. A 30-40 Krag MN carbine would make one heck of a deer rifle!

With regard to the bolt face issue, I'd say just try it without the spacer first and then if need be soft solder the appropriate sized spacer in. I don't think silver solder would be needed.

And if you do need a spacer made up, and you can't make it on that lathe of yours, I'm sure that talented in-house ME you know could make on up in a jiffy!

It sounds like an interesting project. If you decide to make a run at it, perhaps I could have a look next time I'm up?

I can't wait to see what you come up with. If you need any pictures posted, let me know.

Take care,

Jason

The rounds are both .30 caliber. The 7.62 X 54R holds a little more powder (maybe?) an the MN is built around this cartridge. With the 7.62, no action alteration would be required, and feeding is flawless.

I think the idea advanced in another thread about chambering the 7.62 X 54R with a .308 barrel is a better idea. Better selection of bullets, and a new-condition modern bore.

If you just had to have a different cartridge, I'd recommend the .303 British over the 30/40, just for better available components (brass). The two cases are nearly identical, with the 30/40 having a slightly longer neck. You might even be able to get a "pull" .311 barrel (Mauser or Enfield) on the cheap.