Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Robert E. Lee's birthday

fritz

Well, Robert E. Lee was born in 1807, but due to the state (and the nation) having the ability to screw things around, here is what the official Texas state holiday schedule has to say about it---

January

1 - New Years Day

Listed in Article 2835 of the 1879 Revised Statutes as a legal holiday.

19 - Confederate Heroes Day (partial staffing holiday)

House Bill 126, 42nd Legislature Regular Session. Chapter 8. Approved and Effective January 30, 1931 as Robert E. Lee's Birthday.

Senate Bill 60, 63rd Legislature Regular Session. Chapter 221. Approved June 1, 1973 and Effective August 27, 1973 as Confederate Heroes Day. This bill deleted June 3rd as a holiday for Jefferson Davis' birthday and combined the two into Confederate Heroes Day.

3rd Monday - Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Senate Bill 485, 70th Legislature Regular Session. Chapter 159. Approved May 25, 1987 and Effective August 31, 1987 as an optional holiday.

Senate Bill 134, 72nd Legislature Regular Session. Chapter 445. Approved and Effective on June 11, 1991 as an official state holiday.

Anyway, mrs fritz gets the 19th off. But just as we did today and both of us went to the dentist, we will be working calves on her other day off.

No marches, no speeches. Just life as usual down on the farm.

fritz

I gave my one and only son the middle name of Lee.

And try as I may, I would be labeled as a racist by some if I expounded further on this.

Maybe I'll let it drop. Maybe I'll take it to the Corral (known today as the "fightin' words" forum).

fritz