Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Thought I was going to the big roundup in the sky!

FC

I did a bad thing, and wondered if today was my last day on earth! I was trying to get the RV refrigerator out, but it would be easier without the hardware on the back of the fridge. I cut into the upper pipe a bit and ammonia gas came shooting out! I had safety glasses on. Quickly I could barely see anything, and I couldn't breathe. I got out as fast as I could, laid on the ground, and coughed for a while. I figured I'd better get in the house in case things went real bad. I managed to spit out what happened to my wife. What does she ask? "Do you want the black or stainless steel refrigerator?"!  I have to admit that I wondered if that was what the Jews getting gassed went through? Don't do what I did! 

Ammonia works great as a refrigerant.  It is also very toxic.  Around here, the chicken plants use it for cooling and we occasionally get a "man killed..." report with details of the chicken plant shut down from an ammonia leak.  It is serious stuff.  Freon, on the other hand, is totally inert.  Can't make it react, won't hurt you unless you are in an environment where it is so thick that it pushed out the oxygen.  "Ohh, ohhh, let's ban it!"

Thank the Lord I was wearing safety glasses. It shot right at my face. I couldn't see much at all, and had to squeeze out between the fridge and the cabinetry. Even the doorway wasn't far enough to get away. I'm not surprised it's killed men. It's sort of like when you spray the high power oven cleaner, but more intense.

On 1/1/2023 at 6:15 PM, Dr.Hess said:

Ammonia works great as a refrigerant.  It is also very toxic.  Around here, the chicken plants use it for cooling and we occasionally get a "man killed..." report with details of the chicken plant shut down from an ammonia leak.  It is serious stuff.  Freon, on the other hand, is totally inert.  Can't make it react, won't hurt you unless you are in an environment where it is so thick that it pushed out the oxygen.  "Ohh, ohhh, let's ban it!"

Close but not quite.  FREON is a halocarbon gas, it is not inert. Even though odorless, colorless, and non flammable. It is much lighter than air and disperses quickly.  Yet it is reactive.  If it comes in contact with an open flame, it immediately turns into "phosgene", which is also odorless, but much heavier than air.  Which is scary and lethal. Even in an open air environment. Which made it a perfect WWII Chemical Weapon.  

Back in basic refrigeration classes, we were taught to always check for any possible flame sources before opening up a system.

I meant R134a when I said "freon," as that's what we use today.  I don't think many R12 systems are still out there.  R134a is heavier than air.  Yes, it will disperse, but if you are in a closed room with a lot of it, it will collect at the floor and displace oxygen.  If you are on the floor too, that could be a problem.  I think it is very rare for that to happen.  Trying to burn it would be difficult, and an open flame isn't going to bother it (R134a.)  It is non-reactive at normal pressure/temp/environment. 

Now, R12 looks to be potentially toxic if exposed to flame/heat, a good point and one that I didn't think of.  The last vehicle I owned with a R12 system was a 1989, and I converted that to R134a. 

Why any modern RV refrigeration system would have ammonia in it is beyond me.  What if there was a leak while you were in it sleeping? 

Good point. Well, it runs off propane too, so I seem to recall that's why ammonia is needed. It's a 2017, so it won't be R12. When that ammonia blew there was no taking a breath of oxygen. It was get the heck out. I had to squeeze out. Another 30 seconds.. I don't know. It was still bad even in the doorway on the way out.

There's a big vent behind the refrigerator, and trim completely surrounded the fridge. I guess that would be protection enough if a line broke. I don't know how long it shot out ammonia gas, but I'd guess for at least a minute.

On 1/2/2023 at 4:38 AM, FC said:

Thank the Lord I was wearing safety glasses. It shot right at my face. I couldn't see much at all, and had to squeeze out between the fridge and the cabinetry. Even the doorway wasn't far enough to get away. I'm not surprised it's killed men. It's sort of like when you spray the high power oven cleaner, but more intense.

That's great that you were wearing them, could have been worst.  Glad you are alright.  I wear glasses and they act like my safety glasses as well. 

Funny thing is when I start wearing them. I got a piece of metal in my eye from grinding.  Drove all night to receiver then on the way back, I only had one eye to get home during rush hour traffic.  That was fun.

Rob

A few weeks ago, I was using the leaf blower and something blew up in my right eye (OD.)  I had my glasses on, not goggles or safety glasses, just my regular glasses that have saved me many times.  Whatever it was bothered me some, but got a little better.  I washed it out when I was done blowing leaves.  It never really went away.  A week later, I woke up and couldn't open my right eye.  At 0800, I called an ophthalmologist office and had an appointment in a few hours.  Rubbed my eye a bunch and it got a bit better.  Went to the appointment and he found irritation on my sclera, but nothing there, so I must have finally got it out after a week.  Some over the counter eye goo and some prescription NSAID drops and I'm OK now.

17 hours ago, FC said:

That's bad! These safety glasses hugged the eyes. 

Those are the best kind.  I have a broken nose, thanks to my late brother, when we were kids.  Long story, but I can not wear regular hard safety glasses because my nose bridge is way to wide.