Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Warm(er) red state

ken98k

I spent 32 winters in Alaska  and I'm thinking more and more about warmer climates. But where?  My priorities are first and foremost it must be a "Red State," friendly to gun owners.  

Arkansas.  About as Red as you can get.  Gun laws are pretty much "If you don't have one, get one."  Here in Northwest Arkansas, we have excellent stores, restaurants, hospitals, about everything one would be looking for in a "town" and plenty of rural areas as well.  I am in the middle of 10 acres of trees, outside of any city, and still less than 15 minutes from a Walmart supercenter.  Or, if you want more rural, 20 minutes east of me is really the middle of nowhere.  Very beautiful and nothing anywhere near you. If you want to live in a city, then Bentonville, Bella Vista cost more but are the place to live.  We get some snow occasionally.  Like this last winter, we had less than a foot and it stayed for less than a week.  That's about typical and might happen 2 or 3 times in a winter.

On 4/15/2023 at 3:55 AM, Dr.Hess said:

Arkansas.  About as Red as you can get.  Gun laws are pretty much "If you don't have one, get one."  Here in Northwest Arkansas, we have excellent stores, restaurants, hospitals, about everything one would be looking for in a "town" and plenty of rural areas as well.  I am in the middle of 10 acres of trees, outside of any city, and still less than 15 minutes from a Walmart supercenter.  Or, if you want more rural, 20 minutes east of me is really the middle of nowhere.  Very beautiful and nothing anywhere near you. If you want to live in a city, then Bentonville, Bella Vista cost more but are the place to live.  We get some snow occasionally.  Like this last winter, we had less than a foot and it stayed for less than a week.  That's about typical and might happen 2 or 3 times in a winter.

On 4/15/2023 at 3:55 AM, Dr.Hess said:

I have given Arkansas some thought but I've never been there, Also Nebraska is sounding good.

14 hours ago, FC said:

SC is cheap, but reverse racism is a nuisance.

I do know a couple people that retired to SC and they both like it.

I think the reverse racism is here to stay and is only going to get worse'

"I've heard" that Nebraska can get to 40 below.  I was on a plane heading into Arkansas once.  A woman from Nebraska was sitting across the isle from me.  She was coming down for a job interview.  She asked me how cold it ever got (in NW AR._  I said, well, I've seen 10 below in the morning, but it is pretty rare, like only once a winter, and not every winter.  She was like Push-ahh, that's nothing....

Guy I sailed with was a 1st Assistant Engineer.  One of the highest paid people on the ship.  He was from New Jersey or New York.  He was always complaining of the cold.  Wore a sweater in the engine room (it's hot there.)  You could be in any bar in any port, tens of miles from the ship, and he would show up.  On his time off once, he got in his car and started driving south.  He stopped at a bar in every town and asked: "How cold does it get here in the winter?"  Then he would get back in the car and keep going.  He bought a house in Key West.

On 4/16/2023 at 5:10 PM, FC said:

I lived in Omaha. Pleasant enough of a place. Not as cold as South Dakota, but you  still get winter and a lot of wind. Summers in the 90s often. I heard retirees moved out of state due to taxes.

Oops, I didn't think about Taxes but I guess that needs to be a bid consideration.

Ken I spent some summers up in your neck of the woods as a pup, one of dad’s brothers homesteaded around Chatanika,after the Second World War absolutely beautiful, and I loved it. 
  Don’t know if you’re wanting to live in town or out but south Missouri and Northern Arkansas where me and Doc are at are pretty hard to beat in my mind.

After truckin all over the lower 48 and Canada there’s pretty country and good people everywhere. Some of Nebraska is gorgeous but they sure know how to have winter, spent more time waiting out road closures there then any of the western mountain states.

Always thought if I wanted to move any farther south than Missouri I’d look real hard at North Carolina but I’ll stick to the Ozarks . As far as politics in missouri we have a Republican super majority in both houses and a Republican governor, not that Republicans are worth bragging about any more in my opinion .

Constitutional carry state and lots of public hunting ground and lots of good fishing.

If I were to relocate in Missouri I’d be looking over in the area’s around Truman,Stockton and Pomme de Terre lakes region if I wanted out of town because of fewer people and lower land prices, if I wanted a fair size city the Lebanon area. But absolutely avoid K.C. St. Louis, Columbia and sad to say anymore but not interested much in Springfield .

we do have property taxes but it used to be one of lower in the country.

• 1 month later...

I've been checking  NW Arkansas real-estate, have not made up my mind yet though. the company I work for wants me to stay but I really hate them. Probably one of the most woke privately own corporations in the country.

I'm looking for a small house or mobile home, preferably with a garage on a couple acres, nothing fancy.

How far do you want to be from town?  That is a key requirement in the search.  Or, how far do you want to be from a small town, big town?  And what's the budget?  The further out, the lower the prices.  We are fortunate where we are.  We are 15 minutes from a Walmart or hospital, outside city limits, on 10 acres. 

I built this garage:

image.png.a2b8e1fc037ff4b16a93a0dace374423.png

in 2020 for about 20K, all in (dozer, slab, building.)  I subbed out the dozer, slab and door and my wife and I put it up working an hour or so in the evening and a few hours a day on the weekends.  Here it is going up:

image.png.fe61e91ec4b03e8450fe27752418a2fb.png

I can fit 4 cars in it.  Not 4 Land Cruisers, but 4 more or less regular cars.  I should have gone an extra 3 ft to fit 4 Land Cruisers.  Such is life.  This is the 3rd one I've put up.  Anyway, my point being that a place without a garage is fixable, especially rural and outside of BS HOA's.

My neighbor is a real estate agent.  If you want, I can put you in touch with her.