Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Time to get back in the Reloading Room..

Between me and my two boys, after yesterday. ... We are slap out of 38 Button Nose Wadcutters, over 3.7 gr Bullseye.... 357 158 SWC, over 7.4 gr of Unique.....  357 158GC SWC, over 14.0 gr H110... 45ACP (out of the 45 Win Mag Contender bbl.) 200 CSWC, over 7.0 gr of AA#7.... 222 45 GCFP, over 20.0 gr W748.....  7tcu 130 GCRN, over 15.0 gr H110... All from Lee Molds! and finally 410 reformed from 303 British, 1/2OZ #7-1/2, over 14.0 Gr H110...

Gonna be awhile replenishing our supply.... But we sure had a Blast!!!!!

Just wanted to share!!!

Those are some hot loads there.  I'm surprised the 45ACP cases can stand up to that 7GR of AA#7.  The Contender, sure, no problem, but the case head.  I suppose you could always cut down some 30-06 brass.

Since I started powder coating my cast bullets, leading has been a non-issue, and no gas checks.  Drive them as hard as you want.  I actually download my 223 to 2000 FPS with Unique just to save powder and not damage my steel targets.  And I run 429 cast from a Lee mold, powder coated, as hot as I can get it in a 44MAG and a 429DE.

Those are really Not that Hot at all 45ACP's. The original Accurate Guide (red one same vintage as my Powder!!)goes beyound 11 gr of #7... even 10 gr of #5 for what they called +P.. In that 45 Win Mag barrel they are simply a Barrel of Fun...and Never...ever Miss!!!

I dislike Powder Coat... On Boolits, and Certainly Not on My Motorcycles!!! But... Each their own, we should All do what works for Us!!

Oh My on the 222-223 and steel targets... they make a Mess...and I too have  a load with Unique to alleviate such happenings.. We just really like the Accuracy with 748.. they are Destructive.. 

the 44Mag I have all but given up on in a Contender... Just No Fun!!! In the Blackhawk... or certainly a Ruger 96/44... No Fun Like it!!!

The 44MAG in my Desert Eagle is "just right."  Amazingly accurate, moderate recoil (I can shoot it one handed,) and just a lot of fun for a totally useless gun.  357 in that thing is like shooting a 22, and the 500/429DE barrels are too much for me.  I don't have enough ass to put behind the thing to get it to cycle in those.

Even my downloaded 2K FPS 223's with cast powdercoated bullets will leave marks on my steel targets.  Full power 223 leaves deep dings.  I can handle marks, but not the deep dings.  I shoot them through a Howa Mini, and those with a silencer on are quite a hoot.  Sounds like a 22, mostly from the supersonic crack.

When I used to shoot my 223 Super 14 Contender, my 100 yard targets were those little 1" orange sticker dots.  Just drilled them, off the bench, of course.