Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Crazy auction prices

FC

Old white guys at an auction today were paying far too much for guns and old silver coins. I bought nothing. Used semiautomatic shotguns for over $900. Two new black-stocked, black-barreled 10-22s for upper 400s each. 1936 Mas bolt action for $490 (I’m figuring in premiums). Walking Liberty and Barbarber half dollars for about $40 each! Well used Bad Boy mower for $5600, plus tax!

Auctions can go crazy.  I have about given up on going to auctions.  I've seen way too many things sell for a premium to buying it new on the market.  I think the last one I went to, several years ago now, a Remington 7xx in 30-06, as sold at Walmart, went for like $30 more than you could just go buy new at Walmart.  Same thing with machine tools, welders, etc.

Almost like it’s for coming out on top instead of getting good deals. Competition instead of bargain hunting. I’ll never go to another auction. Estate sales I still enjoy but like what was said, welders,tools and guns you can forget. Miller Bobcat welders will sell 100’s more than new and not have leads. 

I gave up on auctions. At the last one I attended I was bidding on an Enco bench top milling machine with a bad motor. I quit at $200 but the other morons kept bidding, it sold for $1,100.

I went home an ordered and new Grizzly for $900. That was about 18 years ago and I've never been to a auction since.