More Memes

Dr.Hess

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are some bizarre last names out there.  I think I mentioned the Dutch once.  Napoleon forced them to take a last name when he took over that part of the world.  The Dutch, being somewhat hard headed, "they say," didn't like it and some of them in protest said "OK, I have to take a last name?  My last name is sh!t.  From the sh!t!" And today, that family name is vander Schijt.

The vander Schijf one was told to me by a Dutchman explaining the names we have and how we got them.  My last name, for example, translates to either duck cages, keeper of the ducks, or keeper of the cages from Frisian, I think.  Before Napoleon, the Dutch names went like the Vikings did and like the Icelanders still do:  If your first name was Steven and you had a son named John, he would be John Stevenson.  If he had a son named Peter, he would be Peter Johnson. Daughters had a different ending and I think went by the mother's name, but I'm not sure.  Today, or at least several decades ago when I sailed with an Icelandic Captain who explained it to me, families would get passports with all the same last names so that when they went through customs and immigration when traveling it would be easier.