Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Iran Said to Have Nuclear Warhead Plans

roscoedoh

Did you know those dipsticks have had a fair-sized fleet of diesel submarines?

They would love to light up Israel with that nuclear technology. I wonder what the odds are of Israel striking that nuclear program if the U.N. does its usual nothing?

Who cares?

If they screw with us ...we nuke them back to the cave.

The North Koreans and the Pakies have Nukes and they have behaved themselves so far.

If Israel has a problem..let Israel deal with it.

Karl

Simply letting things take care of themselves has a nasty habit of spilling over onto our interests. Nuclear situations tend to escalate and get serious quickly. I think if Iran gains nuclear capability and starts threatening homeland America, they'll be dealt with.

That said, though, I'd bet the Israelies deal with Iran's nuclear threat long before they would be in a position to threaten us with it. (If we'd let 'em...)

Guest Guest_MorgansBoss_*

"The North Koreans and the Pakies have Nukes and they have behaved themselves so far"

I'm not nearly as worried about who the Iranians might use a nuke against as I am about who they might SHARE it with!

OK! We have the big boom! Now all the oil is gone! Just what the hell did our forefathers due before oil? They walked a hell of a lot! They burned wood and coal! Oil is not the end all of creaction. Its only the end of the weak. Look out whales here we come! Back to the stone ages! Although there will be less of us I think planet earth will rejoice at the loss of fleas from her back side. Man lived before oil he will survive!

Guest Guest_MorgansBoss_*

"Man lived before oil he will survive!"

Sorry Beau but THAT is just the sort of attitude that scares the devil out of me! Nucular weapons have the potential to do a WHOLE LOT more than kill folks (through the initial blast). While I'm not a subscriber to all the greenhouse gas/ global warming stuff - we've been warming up for centuries - a nucular winter (liked alledgedly snuffed out the dinosaurs) is a real possibility in even a "limited" nucular war. Scarier, is that nucular war is all about civilian casualties... that means women, children and all sorts of non-combatants. Most people still get weepy-eyed thinking about the less than 3,000 civilian casulaties of 9-11. Would you be willing to risk millions by a "we will survive as a specie" attitude?

The drilling through glass joke was funny, kind-of. :)

From the state of the union address it did seem that something was up with Iran. Isreal did it once, its frightening to do it again, but I agree with MB that its also frightening to have this technology in unstable and fervently anti-American hands.

What about biodiesel? Maybe combined with walking, biking and use of other alternative fuel sources, we can grow our fuel?

We have an old oil-burning furnace that I'm considering trying to make a batch of biodiesel for. If it works, I can have fun making the stuff (making things [especially kids] is the funnest thing I can think of) and save hundreds while supporting farmers and lye miners.

While alternative fuels are the perceived answer for energy, one must do a bit of studying on how the process of producing these alternatives actually requires more energy than they produce.

The processiing of many of the alternatives requires a heat source, either natural gas or electricity, and the consumption of those fuels defeats the end.

Now, nuclear may be the cheapest way to produce the heat, but it's going to be hard to convince everybody that it's safe. There needs to be a renewable source of the heat required in the production of most alternative fuels. Hydrogen used to be mentioned as an alternative, but it has to be processed also (using fuel).

fritz

Guest Uncle Daedelius

There is to be a an atomic blast somewhere, too many nuts with too much money to spend equals a working bomb, we, as United States citizens citizens, must insure that the big boom is not inside our borders, if this means Israel takes it up the culo.....so be it! Personally I would love to see Iran nuke one of it's Islamic neighbours........but if this is not where the axe falls, let it fall someplace where the people talk funny and wear bed linens for casual dress.

As to the enviromental effects of an atomic blast.......it is a crap shoot....maybe the species it renders extinct will be liberals...or something else equally worthless.

fritz, I haven't studied the issue but it seems like biodiesel is pretty-much made from mixing vegetable oil and lye, no heat required (of course heat is probably produced after mixing). I suppose it requires some energy to produce the corn oil and lye though. Those giant combines don't appear to be fuel efficient. But will they run on biodiesel? Maybe the combine is the perpetual motion machine man has been trying to find for millenia. And all this time John Deere has been just making them on an assembly line!

"Man lived before oil he will survive!"

Sorry Beau but THAT is just the sort of attitude that scares the devil out of me! Nucular weapons have the potential to do a WHOLE LOT more than kill folks (through the initial blast). While I'm not a subscriber to all the greenhouse gas/ global warming stuff - we've been warming up for centuries - a nucular winter (liked alledgedly snuffed out the dinosaurs) is a real possibility in even a "limited" nucular war. Scarier, is that nucular war is all about civilian casualties... that means women, children and all sorts of non-combatants. Most people still get weepy-eyed thinking about the less than 3,000 civilian casulaties of 9-11. Would you be willing to risk millions by a "we will survive as a specie" attitude?

I sir did not say I favored nukes! I said "Ok so we had the big Boom". I was speaking of what man was capabile of after the bomb. I guess I should of never said I was a high-school drop-out because now I'm just a know nothing. Not capable of forming a opinion. So why don't you kiss my uneducated because I will join in no more.

Swamprat

Swamper - AND I SURE HOPE YOU SEE THIS - I apologize for offending you. I did not intend my post as a personal attack on YOU. I was merely speaking of the attitude held by some in control of these weapons that they can be used on a "limited" basis. I thoroughly enjoy your posts and value what you offer here. I'd sure hate to see you leave or stop contributing. If indeed you are a high school drop out this is the first I am aware of it and I sure don't hold it against you any more than I hold it against those folks who have a PhD but can't drive a nail. Some knowledge can't be had inside a school and usually its the most valuable lessons!

Yes I did say "Would you be willing to risk millions..." bad choice of words on my part. I did not really mean YOU personally, it was more a rhetorical question. Again, I apologize!

Biodiesel will most probably be the fuel of choice someday, Willie Nelson already sells it at his big truck stop. One thing that will be required when this fuel begins being refined is a lot of grain. I only hope that there is enough grain to suppy it and our food also.

It was the hydrogen fuel cells that I remember as being very inefficient. While hydrogen is one of the most plentiful elements on earth, the refining of it into useable fuel is going to take more energy than it releases.

That is why new technology is needed to overcome this problem We are a long way from that point yet. For the short term, it looks like biodiesel and the hybrid automobiles.

fritz

fritz you hit the nail square on the head when you said you hoped we could grow enough grain to make soy diesle and our food.We cant,its that simple.Recently when our legislators went to pushing for all the gas in Mo. to be 10% ethanol one of the things that came to light after they showed theire selves was that Mo. farmers dont grow that much corn. I dont have the figures in front of me but while were not the #1 corn producing state in the union we are alot closer to the top than the bottom in corn production and alot closer to the bottom then the top in gas used and we (farmers) cant even cover the 10%.I know you'all were talking diesle but it aint exactly apples and oranges. Jim

I think we can do it easily. My gosh, you drive through the nations' middle and it is corn, corn, corn, and soybeans everywhere.

Maybe an added benefit would be. It might make farm land more valuable as farm land. Instead of more urban sprawl?

Boys I love the sound of it ,I really do .I'd like nothing better than for farmers to put the A-rabs out of business but I'm afraid you just as well get both hands ready because all you can do on this one is wish in one and hump up and take a good one in the other one cause it cant happen.Theres not enough grain grown or ground to grow it in the United States of America to even come close,not to mention the farmers to do it anymore .Now if someone can figure out how us farmers can get about 10 crops planted raised and out of the fields in one growing season we'll have em by the a$$ on the fuel end of things but then we'll still need to eat so don't let yourself develope a taste for camel or the bastards(Dave H excluded) will have us again.My tractors and combines are greased up and ready to go at any time,hope you'all are right I really do. Jim

Jim, You speak the truth!

There is so much land in the CRP (Conservation Reserve) today that was our government's answer to surpluses was supposed to be, that there really is not as much tillable land left.

To those who believe the government's reasoning on establishing a CRP was to eliminate surpluses and still keep the tillable land as a reserve to fall back on in case we needed the grain production again----THINK AGAIN!

Much of the land in the CRP was planted to trees and other habitat for recreational purposes (hunting was more important than farming). The government encouraged this.

So now we have all this once tillable land covered with trees and brush (hell, it's for the birds, ain't it?) Yeah, the birds love it, and so do the sportsmen that now pay the farmer more for hunting on his CRP acreage than he ever made out of dirt farming!

Thanks to Uncle Sam, we are now in a bit of a bind for all that fertile farmland we used to have. But since the US government has been short sighted, we now depend more on others for our energy.

It's for the birds, after all.

And I have no excuse for turning Iran's nuclear threat into a discussion on our energy needs. It just happened. Forgive me.

fritz

I don't see good farmland turned bad- I see LUMBER! I drool over that kind of thing! Up north it is just fallow land. Nobody I know of up there goes out and plants trees, but lets it go wild for the critters.

There is so much corn I have no idea what we do with it all.