Military Firearm Restoration Corner

No nagant sporters????

Toney

I moved it. Were there pictures when you first posted, because I don't remember seeing any?

For that matter, for some reason, on two computers I'm not seeing anything but an "X" in a frame for pictures.

Tell you what, I'll move it back. I had moved it because I thought it was a purchase of original Mosin-Nagants and not sporterized M-N's.

I was invited to go elk hunting this year, and I took 11 rifles to the range to see what worked best:

1) VZ24 Mauser, 300 Win mag, 23.75" barrel, 8.5 pounds,

2) 1903 Turk Mauser 8mm 29.5" barrel, 10.5 pounds,

3) 1903 Turk Mauser 8mm 27.5" barrel, 8 pounds

4) Ruger #1 7mm mag 26" barrel, 9.5 pounds,

5) Nagant 7.62x54R, 28.25" barrel, 8.25 pounds,

6) Savage 110 30-06, 22.25" barrel, 7.5 pounds,

7) VZ24 Mauser, 308, 24" barrel, 8 pounds,

8) Savage 99 308, 22" barrel, 7 pounds,

9) JP Saur 98K Mauser 8mm 23.75" barrel, Redfield peep sight 7.5 pounds,

10) VZ24 30-06, 24" barrel, 7 pounds,

11) Pre 64 Win 70 30-06, 24", 9 pounds with 2x7 Redfield,

The Nagant won out, and went elk hunting. It has the groups and reliabilty with a 2x7 Leupold, always set on 2X, with the military sling.

Well, I haven't seen too many, but here's one of mine.

http://www.sporterizing.com/index.php?showtopic=161

Thought you might want to see it. swamp_thing

Very nice work Swampthing!

I've got one that I've had for about 10 years and have never even fired.

After seeing yours mabey I'll do something with it.

I've never figured out the saftey, is there one on these?

I've only carried a Nagant once on a hunt, I found it easier to leave the chamber empty than screw with the onery safety. Although after seeing Spris post it might be a better way. All I did to sportorize my Nagaant carbine was remove the folding bayonet to lighten it up. I struck out on that hunt, never got a shot. Clark how did you do, did the Nagant put any meat on the table?? Spris is the u-bolt welded or brazed on?? Don't know if I'll do it, just curious.

No offense but I'd be tempted to use AZrednecks appraoch. Just can't abide the looks of that thing. Can't argue that it works though.

I leave the bolt handle up as the safety on the Nagant while hunting.

And yes, the guys around the campfire make fun of it, especially when drinking.

A man needs to be sure of how good that rifle really is, to show up with a gun THAT ugly.

Guys who have Les Pauls, Stratocastsers, and Paul Reed Smith Guitars, look down on my made in Japan cheapee Ibanez, but I am sure it is a really good guitar.

When I went all in on Junk bonds in 1989, guys laughed at me. Junk bonds were way down and getting a bad rap on the news every night. I had to ignore the trend and know value when I saw it.

Yes you pull back on the cocking piece and rotate it counter clockwise. It's hard, almost impossible with a scope.

That's how I thought it worked, but there seems to be no detent, (at least on mine) the bolt is just held there by friction. If I ever get around to using it I'll do like AZREDNECK and just leave the chamber empty. that's how I carry My rifles while hunting anyway.

Kenny