Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Who are we?

usmc0332

Hey Guys,

I'm Hessel, AKA Dr.Hess. 44 and all Dutch. Actually, all Fresian which is like saying your entire family as far back as can be traced is from the north west corner of Orange County. Dad was a school teacher in Compton, CA ("crowd control"). I sailed in the US Merchant Marine for about 7 years, then somehow started school and when I got to neurosurgery resident ten years later, I decided one morning that I had enough BS and walked away. I do computers (databases mostly) now to buy the kitty and Mauser fodder. I like Mausers, military rifles, handguns and Contenders. I have built a couple Mausers. Cars are probably my other biggest hobby. I am building a Lotus 7 clone from scratch; I have an Esprit Turbo. And the wife and I ride our Harleys to Sturgis whenever we can. I've lived in CA (18 years), LA (1.5 years of pure hell, sorry Rev'), TX (18 years) and currently live in AR and as far as I'm concerned, they can scatter my ashes out by my shop.

Dr.Hess

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

z/8905432a.jpg[/url]

I am 62 years of age, but still feel like Dennis the Menace (and that has gotten me banned from at least one gun board).

fritz

It hurts when I donate money, make thousands of posts, and then get banned without warning.

The moral is, "Don't take forums seriously"

And "Dennis the Menace" is a funny movie!

I am Karl.

I live with a former Hippy and Tawny the cat.

I was a Marine and for the last 20 years have been teaching History, math and reading in jr high.

I collect and restore ole rifles.

I actualize my personhood in Kali. like o wow.

Karl

The details of my life are quite inconsequential.... very well, where do i begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.

Oh Bugger ! I really thought I'd found my long lost twin Brother !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

Hi I am Wallace. My dad was airman from Missouri and mom was farm girl from south Georgia.Growing up every time dad went tdy we went back to farm in Georgia.Granma believed you did stuff OUTSIDE till dark then you could come in.Now dad had a brother that had a custom 257weatherby built on mauser action sweet gun .We boys could hardly wait to grow big enough to be allowed to hold it ,and if unck thought you were big enuogh to shoot it without getting nocked on your can and dropping it great.Well dad retired in Louisiana.This is where I have been for last 36years.I married an airforce brat like myself .Am ase master heavy truck mechanic.and jack of all as long as its mostly outside.Bought backhoe and got license to install septic systems nearly starved so am back at mechanicing.Have thee kids 2 oldest are in college.Raise few head of cattle have several hives of bees Most of my mausers are pawnshop deals that just need a little something to bring them up to that custom gun quality L O L olny a few get to reside in gun case most live in back of closets. Handle came from Louisiana and Mauser. Rosoedoh I am few miles north east of you in Shreveport.

You are correct, Willie was supported in that album (The Highwayman) by those others.

My sign-off line is taken from my favorite part of that album (the song Running against the wind).

FYI, Bob Seger did that song on his album of the same name in '79 or '80. I didn't know Wille covered it on The Highwayman. It's a great song, I'd like to hear his version.

This is me partaking in my most favorite pastime. There are moments that will stick with you forever. This is one. Taking a fantastic creature in a beautiful patch of woods on a perfect morning. Two shots, one hole, 80 yds.

Keith_Deer_Mosin_Nagant.htm

Well I don't quite know how to word this, but here goes.

I started working on firearms when I was about 14, I loved to take them apart to see how they worked. It was soon found that I could actually repair them and that started this ball rolling. I quit High School when I was 16, Mom was on SS due to my Fathers passing when I was 13. So I got a job in a factory and gave Mom the pay checks, I made more than she got for me from SS. Started working in machine shops by lying about my age, and then getting fired when some found out. Eventually became a journeyman machinist at 22 and a journeyman tool & die maker at 24. Married young and 2 kids and a divorce by 29. Remarried a wonderful lady in 1980 and have been with her since. I started working for a DOE facility in 83 making parts for experiments and the particle accelerator there, all close tolerence work with exotic metals. They had a buyout early retirement in 2002 and I took it. Been doing part-time jobs since in die shops and driving truck, while I tried to get this gunsmith business to pay the bills. Business is picking up some, but I still need the side jobs for the bills. Ya listening Clayton? Right now I'm laid off again and waiting for a call back, twice within a year. Yep, shouldn't have taken the buyout, seemed like a good idea at the time, but sucks right now. I was #10 on the seniority list and had my pick of the shops to work in, but I wanted to be my own boss, so here I am. One bright spot in the near future is the Range I work at as an RSO is opening again in April, so I go back to work there till December. Great job, wonderful boss Lady, and great guys and gals to work with, a dream job and someday may go full time. Up to this point in my life I have been a Machinist / Tool & Die Maker, Gunsmith, Gun Dealer, Mechanic, Truck Driver, rode and built Harley's, ect. All my working career I have had a part-time something that I did other than my full time Machinist/ Die Makers job, I think the most enjoyment I have had was being a gunsmith. I just hope that someday I can retire and just putz around and shoot.

Rebel49

www.lebercustomengraving.com

I'm Jim, born and raised in the Missouri Ozarks.Married to the same woman for 23 years ,got 2 girls 21 and 18, and farm for a living. I got my education at the university of Missouri ,tractor seat campus majored in driving in circles and playin' in the dirt lol...This farm was cleared by my great great great Grandfather and his sons in the early 1800s.My great Grandfather and his brother are buried on it down by the creek where they were killed while picking corn in 1864 by trash Yankee raiders for the crime of wearing gray uniforms.It stayed in the family going to another brother until my Grandfather died of TB in the late twentys and Grandma lost it during the depression.The sob that ended up with it wasnt a fan of gray uniforms and removed my great Grandfathers /uncles headstones and plowed and planted over the graves for alot of years ,Dad managed to get it back in the early 50s when the sob got in a tight spot.Rumor has it that he threw the headstones in the river,dont reckon I'll ever find em' but I know where the sob's is and it aint a rumor that his grave has been pissed on.Dad put some markers back up but said he was just a kid the last time he saw the originals but thinks he got them back pretty close.Well enough family fued, I've been a gun nut as long as I can remember,got into sporterizing some years back and wish I had more time to do it,and just a pinch of the tallent of some of the folks here,you'all have really been a big help to a dumbass farmer! thanks ,Jim.

I was born on the Red River in 1953,and my early years were spent starving from Dad trying to make a living farming.I have a twin brother,and we had a childhood that I wouldn't trade with anyone in the world.Not having toys,TV's or neighbor kids,we built things.I started working on guns when I was 11 or 12,fixing broke things for neighbors,and I still love a challenge when someone says it can't be fixed.I got married at 21,raised 2 gosh dang wonderful kids,and have worked at Peterbilt Motors truck factory for 23 years as a Test Tech.I road test trucks,run them through a dyno,check the ABS system,program the engines,and fix whatever I may find wrong.It has been one big fun job all these years except for the jerk-offs that run the place.Hunting is my greatest pleasure in life,next is gun work,camping and fishing.I have 2 grandaughters,6 and 9,that love me so much.I know,because they can't hide it.That makes me a very rich man.Jerry

I WAS BORN IN 1953 IN BELTON,TX WE MOVED TO GLEN ROSE,TX WHEN I WAS 3.MY DAD HAD A

CEDAR POST YARD(FENCE POST).IN THE SUMMER GRADED POST AND LOADED POST ON TRUCKS BUT WE ALWAYS HAD TIME TO GO FISHING AND HUNTING. I GOT MARRIED IN 1973 TO GREAT GIRL SHE LIKE THE

SAME THINGS I LIKE SHE LIKES FISHING AND HUNTING AND LIKES TO SHOOT GUNS SHE LIKES GUNS ALMOST AS MUCH AS ME. I BEEN WORKING ON GUNS SINCE WE GOT MARRIED.BEEN FOOLING WITH MAUSERS FOR THE LAST 15 YEARS.WHIS I COULD DO THE GUNS FULL TIME.MAYBE SOMEDAY.REALLY LIKE

THE WOOD WORKING ALSO.SOMETIMES I WISH I HAD A FEW MORE TOOLS BUT THAT WILL COME WITH TIME.BEEN SELLING CAR PARTS FOR 30 YEARS CAN NOT SEEM TO GET AWAY FROM THEM A LIVING YOU KNOW. NOW YOU KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT GARY.

Dang Gary,I had no idea you were from Glen Rose.I was born in '53,have a twin brother named Gary,would love to live around Glen Rose,got married in '73,and know what a cedar yard is,and me and Gary are southpaws.Jerry

I find it curious how many of us are part ( indian, irish, scott, german).

My last name is of Scott heratage and one of those early Scotts to this country

married a Seneca Indian woman, so my great great grandmother was a native

american ( indian ). Most of the heartige of my great grandmother, my grandmother

and my mother has been "Pennsylvania Dutch" (German).

So although my name is Scottish, I'm mostly German.

I was born in 55.

This is only my 5th year so I'm still very GREEN at hobby gunsmithing.

I'm very greatful to everyone here for freely sharing their knowlege.

I wouldn't be nearly as far along as I am without everyone's help.

I bought my first gun at 12 with grass cutting money, a Remmington 22.

I did some hunting as a teenager with my brother. Thru my 20's and early

30's I hardly ever touched a gun, too busy partying and chasing tail.

Then married in my mid 30's with two young sons I accepted a buddies

invitation to go hunting. I've been hunting ever since. When the boys

came of age to hunt not only did I need more guns I was needing a hobby

at the time as well. So another "sporterizer" was born.

Monday thru Friday I work for a hospital keeping the machines running

that keep people alive. On weekends I 'tinker' with guns to go hunt "Bambi"

I guess it's kind of a ying/yang balance of nature kind of thing, go figure!

Tinker

swamprat!

You are my long lost brother! LOL!

I guess I should tell you all a bit about myself as well. I'm a 39 year old (have been for 3 years, so I am still a novice at it) woman. I've had some college even though I never graduated from high school. I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. I have a male greyhound as well as a female cat both of which keep me entertained and fulfills any possibility of nurturing that I might have from some errant sense of maternal instinct. Therefore, I have never felt compelled to have children, even if I could. In fact, I don't even like to bother with intimate relationships of any sort! I can applaud those of you here who have lengthy marriages, or those who keep trying 'til they get it right, but it's not for me...I'm such a mean ol' cuss! I am extremely close to my relatives and to many, many friends...they are all enough for me!

I grew up in Oklahoma, moved to New Mexico when I was 13 years old, back to Oklahoma at 17 and then to California when I was 20 years old and still reside here. I have lived all over California, and I really love much of the state, but I feel my real home is in New Mexico, where I will be moving in 2 months or so.

I currently support myself by doing artwork on a commission basis, I often make dance regalia for American Indians on a "donation" basis and I undertake odd-jobs here and there as well as living off of some investments. Once I get to New Mexico, I intend to return to the work I love in forensics.

My ancestry is pretty clearly defined, I am just a bit more than half American Indian, the other less-than half being Irish...and I mean 3 generations off the boat Irish. I identify as American Indian, but I know all about my Irish roots too. I am ashamed to admit that I once completely disavowed myself of my Indian heritage as I grew up realizing just how hated Indians are in Oklahoma. But after a number of strange, painful events unfolded in my life, I snapped out of my own self-loathing and have been proud of my ENTIRE heritage ever since!

I am probably "newer" to my enjoyment of firearms than most of the members here, as I have really only been a collector and avid shooter for roughly 4 1/2 years now. Until that time I thought, as many "liberals" do, that guns are inherently evil, serve no truly noble purpose, are dangerous and pointless to boot, then I realized that I was thinking of Ted Kennedy and I've been cool with firearms ever since! I have a modest collection of basically ultra-cheap firearms that I am absurdly proud of. LOL! I have yet to move into the realm of actual investment arms, but at the same time I wonder what the point would be of that...I am a shooter first, the collecting side of it is only a fringe benefit. My current collection consists of a couple dozen long arms, and a handful (literally and figuratively) of handguns. I will be working on my collection of handguns once I leave CA, since my failure to procure handguns here is my little "protest" of CA laws.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. I hope y'all know me better now!

Guest Uncle Brad Matt Ben Ashton Pitt-

Hello all, I am a 31 year old male model turned film star, before my entry into the entertainment industry I was a Marine Corps Green Beret Recon Sniper that trained at Blackwater Thunder Ranch, I had 200 confirmed kills none closer than 8 furlongs, I also trained as jet pilot helicoptor door gunner and in my spare time I design and build laser guided Glock/SIG tactical weapons for my friends and fellow SWAT Team members in Los Angeles. I am currently dating and completely sexually satisfying the Laker Girls and am responsible for converting Anne Heche from lesbianism, I also wrote the script for "Broke back Mtn." and am currently working on a new novel about how I saved President Bush's life and won my first Medal of Honor while operating a gun boat on the Potomac River on my way to Stockholm to pick up my Nobel prize for my expierimental combination cancer cure and steak sauce formula.