Military Firearm Restoration Corner

M-A-S-H

fritz

The Hallmark channel has been running several editions of the old series beginning at 10 central time.

I loved this series, although a friend of mine did not (because he claimed it made fun of the Army).

I told him to his face---"What's wrong with that?"

Anyway, does anyone have the actual words to the theme music that precludes each episode?

I thought it is this (but can't be sure)----

"Suicide is painless, it brings on many changes

And I can take my leave if I please"

Can't be right, but it is what sticks in my craw.

fritz

SUICIDE IS PAINLESS

Theme from M*A*S*H

(Mike Altman & Johnny Mandel)

Through early morning fog I see

Visions of the things to be

The pains that are withheld for me

I realize and I can see that

Chorus: Suicide is painless

It brings on many changes

And I can take or leave it if I please

I try to find a way to make

All our little joys relate

Without that ever-present hate

But now I know that it's too late, and (chorus)

The game of life is hard to play

I'm going to lose it anyway

The losing card I'll someday lay

So this is all I have to say, that (chorus)

The only way to win is cheat

And lay it down before I'm beat

And to another give my seat

For that's the only painless feat. (chorus)

The sword of time will pierce our skins

It doesn't hurt when it begins

But as it works its way on in

The pain grows stronger; watch it grin! and (chorus)

A brave man once requested me

To answer questions that are key

Is it to be or not to be

Oh I replied, oh why ask me? 'cause (chorus)

And you can do the same thing if you please

Here You go Fritz, enjoy

Rebel49

Yes, all the MASH units will be Reservists..and eventually they will be CSH's.

It is just restructuring, Combat Support Hospital's are smaller and quicker to deploy, with basically the same surgical capabilities.

Smaller lighter quicker, it's the name of the game.

Jimro

From yesterday's Stars & Stripes news paper.

The last operational US Army MASH unit will be left behind in Pakistan to continue to support the earth quake relief effort.

Rebel49.

Thank you. I was close on the words of the chorus, but I never realized there was that much more to the song.

Very interesting, just as so many of the shows were. They took up some topics that were taboo to many at the time (and still are to some, it appears) but it was an award winning show in a time when we needed a bit of relief from the reality of life.

I shall be watching again tonight.

fritz

My wife is a MASH junky. She's seen every episode several times but it amazes me that she still doesn't "get" the sublime messages... MASH (by admission of the writers and actors - both the movie and the series - while set in Korea was actually a back-door Hollywood slam on the VietNam war. Yes, MASH was a very liberal show (and movie) and some of the subjects covered were and still are a sore spot. Of course it made fun of the Army, that was the whole idea to make the Army and the war (the VietNam war) look bad and stir even more domestic resentment. Now if you can watch the show for the simple gags and jokes without letting it get too deep like my wife does it can be a funny entertaining show. For the most part I don't care for it though, mainly that's because of my disgust for the ultra-liberal Alan Alda though...

The theme song "Suicide is painless" was from the original movie and was about the dentist (I think) who was planning to commit suicide.

Ain't a thing Fritz, glad to do it for you. Sometimes I hear a song and it just sticks in the head you know. That was one that I remembered from long ago in a darker time, and one which a friend of mine would play whenever we got together and got smashed. About 6-7 months ago the phone rings in the shop and call ID shows up as "wireless" so I pick it up and hear Suicide Is Painless playing on guitar, then the words. My buddy who I haven't heard from in 23 years on the line singing. About freaked me out, I had heard he croaked in the VA hosp. years ago, PTSD from Nam, and Agent Orange. It was quite a reunion.

Rebel49