Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Got CZ-52?

Spiris

I'm wondering how many members or guests have a CZ-52, and your opinions on it? I have had one for a year or so, and do not get out with it too often, but generally like it. I really don't care for the feel of the grip but it's great fun to touch off the rounds, as it is a sassy cartridge. I handload it with 6.7 gr. of Unique and use the 100 gr. 30 cal. speer plinker. Not quite as powerful as the factory S&B loads, it still gets your attention and seems to shoot at least as good, accuracy wise. I don't see the CZ-52 being offered for sale as much lately, and it's probably drying up. The one I have was purchased from J&G sales, and was like new with the parkerized finish and very tight. Now if I can only find that brass after shooting.

Spiris

I've got one and i like it! i'm shooting the 110carb bullets with 10gr h110 in converted 223 cases.

I harvested a doe with one at around 80yds, it planted her in her tracks.

I'm also shooting the 90gr xtp with 14.2gr h110 in S&B cases. Both rounds seem a lot hoter the the surplus ammo, the blast is pretty close to the 357mag.

Toney, I believe the 14.2 gr. of h-110 with the 90 gr. bullet is a stiff maximum load. It's ok once in a while, but a steady diet will loosen the locking rollers up and wear the slide and bushing to excess a lot faster. I would suggest 13 gr. as a top load and you won't notice the difference, but your CZ will thank you. But enough preaching, I'm glad you like it and congrats on the deer. They are fun blasters and are the equal of any .357 mag because of their velocity. Thanks for responding.

Spiris

• 2 weeks later...

Spiris --

I have two CZ-52 pistols that I got from J&G Sales. I picked them both back when J&G had the "Very Good" condition selection of them for less than $90.00 each. I am thrilled with their overall condition, and I really feel that I some serious bang for the buck with my choices. The parkerizing on both of the pistols is excellent, as are the original grips. There is one of the legendary "dimples" on each slide of the pistols, and that is supposed to be good, if I recall correctly.

I have shot handloads, Romanian surplus and Yugoslavian surplus in my CZ-52s and I think I like the Romanian best, at least where cost is concerned. I don't worry too much about the corrosive qualities of surplus ammo, I just Windex my bores out before I leave the range. However, I feel that as accuracy is concerned, all of the ammo I tried seemed up to snuff.

One of my friends, another woman, tried shooting one of these pistols from a carpet-covered section of a wood 4X4, and she totally scorched the carpet on the block with the flames that shot out of the muzzle of this pistol. She thought it was great! She totally loves the CZ-52. I would love it better with better grips. Shooting this pistol, as it is, really hurts the webbing of my hand between my thumb and index finger. I have tried to change my grip on the pistol, but nothing seems to help. I am going to order a Hogue Hand-All grip when I think of it, and see if that helps, otherwise, I may end up springing for a set of aftermarket exotic wood grips, though, I can't be certain those will help. Resilience seems to be the issue for me, and I would think that the rubber grips would be more comfy!

And yeah, I have never seen brass eject from a pistol with nearly equal velocity as the projectile exits the muzzle! LOL! Some folks have posted that they find their brass in adjacent counties!

They are pretty cool pistols, if you ask me, and while I don't currently get out with them as much as I would like to, I anticipate that will change once I have relocated in a month or two. I noticed that J&G Sales seems to be backordered on these pistols currently. When I have been at the store, they seem to get quite a bit of attention, and I know, from speaking to the staff there, they do a pretty brisk business in them.

• 3 weeks later...