Military Firearm Restoration Corner

PA63 pistols are back

Horsefly

Someone has them in Shotgun News for 139.95.I've bought 3 in the past,one for me and my brothers,and we all 3 think they are the best concealed pistol we own.They fit in bluejeans pockets and are so very accurate.At that price,rubbing against your car keys in your pocket won't bother you too much.I'm going to order another for my wife.Jerry

Yep Jim,there in J&G'S add in Shotgun News.I use Sellier Bellot shells I get at Cheaper Than Dirt for about 7 bucks for a box of 50.I've shot Wolf too,but really like Sellier.Like a lot of small auto's,they don't like hollow points.They hang up in the mag.They're the best pocket tote-around pistol I ever owned,and the most accurate too.I loaned mine to a freind to use in his Concealed license course,and he shot a 100 percent.He ordered one real soon after.Jerry

I'm new to this site. Looking for advice help, on pistols. Want to purchase a gun and learn to effectively learn how to use it for protection. Have experience with 22 caliber pistols. Have been told the 9 millimeter is a great gun to have. Is Glock the best? Is there accuracy only good for 10 -20 yards? Is this a good choice for protection? I have much experience with rifles, hunting deer, pheasants rabbits etc. but need advice on pistols.

Essentially, what is a good pistol to purchase and practice with??

John

First, Welcome.

As to pistols, there is realy no "best' one. it depends on:

What you need it for.

How much you can afford to spend.

For defence and target shooting the FEG PA63 we were talking about is hard to beat.

The cost is low and the one I have an older PPH, will handle Hollow points.

As to skill, I will leave that to others to explain as I know the theory but would be better with a knife in a gunfight.

Karl

I'm new to this site. Looking for advice help, on pistols. Want to purchase a gun and learn to effectively learn how to use it for protection. Have experience with 22 caliber pistols. Have been told the 9 millimeter is a great gun to have. Is Glock the best? Is there accuracy only good for 10 -20 yards? Is this a good choice for protection? I have much experience with rifles, hunting deer, pheasants rabbits etc. but need advice on pistols.

Essentially, what is a good pistol to purchase and practice with??

John

A good pistol to purchase and practice with is something that you can afford to buy a lot of ammo for and shoot it a lot.

If you want to be effective with a handgun (or any firearm) you have to put in the time and put a lot of lead downrange.

I think the answer to the question "what is a good pistol to purchase and practice with" has more to do with the caliber than the make or model.

The 9mm (9x19) is an excellent choice. It is also very inexpensive to shoot.

You asked about Glocks. They are very good, but are they the best?

What is the best restaurant to eat at?

It all depends on what you want and like.

99.9% of all the handguns available out there go bang when you pull the trigger.

Start with something cheap and shoot it a lot.

A $100 gun you actually practise with is better than a $800 gun you can't afford to shoot.

Matt, owner Tombstone Arms

John,

Welcome. A big part of choosing the right pistol for you depends also on your size of hand. Some small handed folk just can't handle a bigger pistol and vice versa for big handed folks. I have rather large hands and some small pistols are really hard for me to shoot accurately. I would suggest you try the fit of several pistols then pick the one that fits you best. Name or caliber don't matter if you can't hit what you shoot at.

Swamprat

anyone have size/weight/shootablity comparisons between this PA63 and the P64 sold by SOG (for one)? they both look a lot like a walther, and i've heard good things about the P64. only $10 difference.... anyone handled both?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

anyone have size/weight/shootablity comparisons between this PA63 and the P64 sold by SOG (for one)? they both look a lot like a walther, and i've heard good things about the P64. only $10 difference.... anyone handled both?

My only complaint with the P64 is the double action trigger pull.

I haven't measured it, but it is absolutely horrendous (maybe P64 stands for trigger 'Pull: 64lbs.')

The Hungarians are a little bigger (slide is ¾" longer), but have very nice triggers.

The PA-63 is identical in size to the CZ-50 (CZ-50 is a .32) and it is also the lightest (Alloy Frame).

So . . . They all have their strong points:

P-64 is the smallest, but has an ignorant DA trigger.

PA-63 is the lightest.

Even though the CZ-50 is a .32, it is the nicest and is C&R eligible.

My only complaint with the P64 is the double action trigger pull.

I haven't measured it, but it is absolutely horrendous (maybe P64 stands for trigger 'Pull: 64lbs.')

The Hungarians are a little bigger (slide is ¾" longer), but have very nice triggers.

The PA-63 is identical in size to the CZ-50 (CZ-50 is a .32) and it is also the lightest (Alloy Frame).

So . . . They all have their strong points:

P-64 is the smallest, but has an ignorant DA trigger.

PA-63 is the lightest.

Even though the CZ-50 is a .32, it is the nicest and is C&R eligible.

Sorry, forgot to log in.

thanks tombstone! i found a site dedicated to th P64, and they have a fix for the DA trigger pull. now, if SOG would ever get back to me, i'd buy one!