Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Monty's New Job

montea6b

I've got a new job! Got the offer Thursday evening, slept on it, and closed the deal yesterday. I feel like a tremendous weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I guess I can put away the cardboard signs I was preparing...

You may remember from other posts, but I am retiring from the Navy on March 1st. While I had saved enough to manage for a while and will have a pension, I still needed to find work. With a mortgage, wife and three young kids it's amazing how fast the money flies out! It will be a while before I can "retire" retire.

Anyhow, it's a management job. Nothing exciting. White collar, wear a suit to the office. The kind of job that in my adventurous youth I once swore I'd never take! But it's a secure steady paycheck with regular hours and there's a lot to be said for that. Good company, great people, and that makes a big difference.

Hanging up the wings will be difficult. I had also been pursuing an airline job, but it is a tumultuous industry which has lost a lot of its luster lately. I think I made the right choice. No, I know I did. My kids will be seeing me evenings, weekends, and on holidays. With an airline job it would be years before I had enough seniority and control over my schedule to have a "normal" life.

Anyhow, it's a good feeling and I just felt like sharing the news.

Congrats Mike!

I am glad things worked out for you. Office jobs are tough, but I think you'll manage. The real question is, do you remember what a weekend is? Or, are the weekends off going to get you into trouble with all those "honey-do's" that may have been put off for a while?

Good show man. Good things happen to good people.

Jason

First off, congratulations Monty! I'm beginning to search for "my next job" after 20+ years in the current one. I'm taking my time and being picky since there really isn't any hurry - my job is too hard to fill for them to throw me out no matter how bad they'd like to. I haven't had regular days off or holidays since 1985. I haven't worked day-time hours since 1989. Working nights and having days off during the week most of the time (my days rotate) has spoiled me as far as having as much "free time" as I can rob from my sleep. Hate going hunting or fishing on weekends anymore because of all the people! Most folks don't understand when I say going back to "regular hours" is one of the scariest things about the prospect of finding another job. Let me know how you adjust!