Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Nagant used in Olympic shooting event

AzRednek

In a telephone conversation with a friend that frequents this group but doesn’t post due to health problems claims there was a pre-WW2 Olympic medal winner that used a Nagant rifle to compete in one of the shooting events. He believes the participant was of Finnish or Scandinavian royalty. My friend said we could probably find the answer here. Anybody ever hear of this?

I have read about Mosin's being used by Russian, Finnish, and other Scandanavains for competition purposes though I have never seen results. Apparently though, the Mosin can be a pretty accurate rifle. Further, being the bolt action rifle that so many of these countries have used for so many years, it doesn't surprise me that one of their olympians would shoot one in competition.

I'm looking for the Finn who shot a 28/30 I think in pre-WWII Olympic match. (Google)I have seen his name before. They were used well into the 60-70's by the Russians as well. Summer Games I think.

The best I could find is an extensive list of wins on the Lapua.com website. The 53R as the Finns call it was used in both winter and summer games. Who knows when they went to just .22lr in the winter games

These guys could be Olympic material.....

post-152-1139950250_thumb.jpg

How about Vaino 1 King of Finland (1868-1940)

I think he abdicated right before WW1. The site below has the story. Finland had to cancel the Games in 1940 as host because of war.

If the link doesn't work Type "King of Finland" on your search engine. I was surprised what I found.

Finland did not become a nation until 1917 when it declared itself independent from Imperial Russian rule. The Finns had been under Russian rule since the Great Northern Wars between Russia and Sweden. Peter the Great defeated the Finns and took over the area of Finland, which up to that point had been under Swedish control. The Finns fought a Civil War against the Reds in 1918 and have had a parliamentary system of government ever since. The only kings that were in Finland were under much earlier rule by either the Danes or Germans.

• 1 month later...