Military Firearm Restoration Corner

VP shoots hunting buddy by accident.

karlunity

"Hello, yeah, this is George Bush

Oh..Sorry Dick, I cannot go shooting next week..Why...well.uh...Laura wants me to fix the sinks in the bathroom of the Whitehouse..then I gotta mow the lawn...yeah..gotta keep the little lady happy..No--No. that is ok..I will call you."

Karl

"Hello, yeah, this is George Bush

Oh..Sorry Dick, I cannot go shooting next week..Why...well.uh...Laura wants me to fix the sinks in the bathroom of the Whitehouse..then I gotta mow the lawn...yeah..gotta keep the little lady happy..No--No. that is ok..I will call you."

Karl

We need to ban politicians from owning or using firearms or the streets will run with blood! LOL

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060212/ap_on_...unting_accident

Was this on the ranch owned by a family friend of the Bush's here in Goliad County, where GW's daddy used to quail hunt?

At least that ranch is on the other side of the county from me (and it's a big county), because I would not want any of those politician type hunters near my ranch!

fritz

I know exactly how this happened as I've seen and heard about the same thing happening before.

The shortest answer is never, ever loose sight of where your hunting companions are or while hunting with a group do, don't ever cross into your friend's field of fire. Group hunts are great, especially while hunting upland birds, but you have to make sure you know where everyone is before you pull the trigger. Break these rules and this kind of thing happens.

I see this as an honest mistake, perhaps due to hunt fever, and probably could have happened to anyone. Thank goodness Whittington wasn't seriously injured. I bet Cheney pays absolute attention to where he's shooting from now on too.

I can't wait to see how the antis run with this one. The antis will some how use it as an argument for trigger locks and the petas will claim the veep in his act of barbarism almost killed an inocent old man. I do feel sorry for Chaney, the last person you want to shoot by accident is a lawyer.

As many of you know I've taught firearms and hunter safety for a long time. As far as I've been able to tell this incident violated several basic safety rules. First and foremost, not keeping track of everyone and everything that could be harmed by your shooting and acting accordingly - not shooting towards them. That was Mr. Chaney's fault. Mr. Whittington however is equally at fault (well not equally, but stupidly at least) for venturing into the field of fire without announcing himself. That said, things can get pretty exciting during a covey flush and if you're concentrating on a bird (as you should be) as you swing, the background can be pretty fuzzy. There's no excuse for shooting someone "by accident." Any time you have a gun in your hands you are responsible for where it points. If it is pointing towards another person or anything that you do not intend to shoot you're negligent. It really is THAT simple. A rule I hammer into students is; "Know your target and what's beyond it."

I feel for everyone involved in this incident. It has been made light of in the media and also made to be something it isn't - more serious than it was, a cover-up because there wasn't an immediate press release, etc... I'm sure it's something we'll here more on in the future either as a comment on Chaney, Bush and/or hunting. I just wish I could wrangle an invite to a ranch where you get two coveys in such short order!

"I just wish I could wrangle an invite to a ranch where you get two coveys in such short order!"

Oh, that parts's easy--you just have to be a millionaire (but a billionaire is better).

fritz