Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Now we're being made to recruit

FC

Well, the Army is known for mandates, and now there is a new one. Army nurses must do community service in uniform or by writing and promote nursing. Goal hasn't been met since 1998. "Every Nurse a Recruiter". Now that's desparation! We now have to have two bullets on our evals showing we were recruiters.

Well, all I can say is that's getting pretty desparate!

But I guess they were that desparate during 'nam, when I was inducted into the AF and on my first night in basic had to listen to the spiel of a "recruiter" (aka fundillo) on the phone. He had the gall to suggest that if I got mrs fritz (an RN) to enlist also, it would go easier for me in basic.

Ha! Basic in the AF is not that big a deal. I was not exactly an uneducated kid that the "recruiter" (aka fundillo) took me for. And he should have known better since he signed me up in the first place.

But since I was not that naive, I realized where he was coming from. He was obviously under the same pressure to herd warm bodies into the fold (especially medical personnel).

It's not right, never has been, but it sure as hell looks like we are in trouble in this country.

God help us.

fritz

Tell you what, don't even trouble yourselves to send it unless the boss asks for proof. Honestly, the man would have been the ideal D.I.

Letter One

MCCS-CN 8 February 2006

MEMORANDUM FOR ARMY NURSE CORPS OFFICERS

SUBJECT: Every Nurse is a Recruiter Program (ENRP)

1. The Army Nurse Corps (ANC) must bring in approximately 360 new accessions each year in order to maintain the current Active Component (AC) force structure. These officers come from a variety of commissioning sources, including the U. S. Army Cadet Command (USACC), the Army Medical Department Enlisted Commissioning Program (AECP), and through the U.S. Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) as fully qualified direct accessions. The U.S. Army Accessions Command (USAAC) has oversight for all of these missions.

2. The ANC has not met its accession goals since 1998. This can be attributed to many factors, to include the growing shortage of nurses and nursing school faculty nationwide, the downsizing of the Army, a decrease of nursing programs in which the Cadet Command had a presence, and the Global War on Terrorism, to name a few.

3. Research demonstrates that nurses are the most important contacts for future ANC officers and persons that influence them (i.e. deans of nursing schools, nursing school faculty, etc). Anecdotally, reports from current AN recruiters recount that personal contact and connection with an Army Nurse often “seals the deal” for many prospective applicants. While nurses assigned to USAREC perform an invaluable function, the need persists for applicants to speak with Army Nurses who are currently working with patients.

4. This memorandum announces the implementation of the Every Nurse is a Recruiter Program (ENRP) commencing in February 2006 for all ANC (AC) officers, as detailed in the enclosed U.S. Army Nurse Corps Every Nurse is a Recruiter Program Implementation Plan.

5. This new program is vital for both the future of our Corps and the current state of our nursing practice. I look forward to working with each of you, as nurses and officers, to meet this most critical of missions. As we celebrate 105 years of Army Nursing, let’s work together to recruit high quality professionals for the Army Nurse Corps. Thank you for your dedication and service.

\\Original Signed\\

Encl GALE S. POLLOCK

as Major General, AN

Chief, Army Nurse Corps

Letter 2

MCCS-CN 8 February 2006

MEMORANDUM FOR ARMY NURSE CORPS OFFICERS

SUBJECT: U.S. Army Nurse Corps Every Nurse is a Recruiter Program (ENRP) Implementation Plan

1. Situation.

a. The Army Nurse Corps (ANC) must bring in approximately 360 new accessions each year in order to maintain the current Active Component (AC) force structure. These officers come from a variety of commissioning sources, including the U. S. Army Cadet Command (USACC), the Army Medical Department Enlisted Commissioning Program (AECP), and through the U.S. Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) as fully qualified direct accessions. The U.S. Army Accessions Command (USAAC) has oversight for all of these missions.

b. The ANC has not met its accession goals since 1998. This can be attributed to many factors, to include the growing shortage of nurses and nursing school faculty nationwide, the downsizing of the Army, a decrease of nursing programs in which the Cadet Command had a presence, and the Global War on Terrorism, to name a few.

c. Research demonstrates that nurses are the most important contacts for future ANC officers and persons that influence them (i.e. deans of nursing schools, nursing school faculty, etc). Anecdotally, reports from current AN recruiters recount that personal contact and connection with an Army Nurse often “seals the deal” for many prospective applicants. While nurses assigned to USAREC perform an invaluable function, the need persists for applicants to speak with Army Nurses who are currently working with patients.

2. Responsibilities.

a. Every Army Nurse (AN) performs a minimum of two days of recruiting and/or retention activities per annual rating period to assist the ANC in meeting its recruiting and retention goals.

b. Every AN who attends a professional nursing conference will assist in recruiting

efforts by:

(1) Daily wearing of uniform (Class As or Bs) at conferences, and

(2) If present, working in the U.S. Army Recruiting Command’s (USAREC) Army of One recruiting booth as a subject-matter expert in nursing.

c. Each ANC officer enrolled in Long Term Health Education and Training provides

assistance two days per school year to USACC and/or USAREC in their efforts to recruit for the ANC.

3. Mission. Implementation of this program is vital to both the future of the ANC and the current state of our nursing practice. Involvement in both recruiting and retention activities will lead to a sense of responsibility for maintenance of the ANC and nursing in general.

4. Concept.

a. General Guidance. This program is for all Active Component ANC officers. Each senior ANC leader will include one bullet on recruiting and retention on their Officer Evaluation Report (OER) Support Form (DA Form 67-9-1) and each subordinate leader will then reflect that goal in his/her OER Support Form. At the time of evaluation, the rater includes a corresponding remark in the narrative section of the OER.

b. Implementation Guidance. The Army Nurse Corps will begin implementation of the Every Nurse is a Recruiter Program in February 2006 in recognition of our 105th Anniversary (2 February 2006). The program will be advertised via the ANC newsletter, AKO accounts and Officer Professional Development (OPD) programs.

5. Process.

a. Officers may choose from a variety of activities to support this goal, including but not limited to the following:

(1) Assisting a USAREC Health Care Recruiter in presenting the ANC to

potential applicants or educators.

(2) Assisting an ROTC Brigade Nurse Counselor or Recruiting Operations Officer in presenting the ANC to potential applicants or educators.

(3) Assisting the hospital civilian Nurse Recruiter at local nursing

job/career fairs.

(4) Promote the AMEDD Enlisted Commissioning Program (AECP) to

every enlisted Soldier in your facility.

(5) Community involvement as an ANC officer (e.g. school career day

presentations, blood pressure clinics, etc).

(6) Encourage recent graduates to return to their alma maters (in conjunction with USAREC and/or USACC) to talk about the great experiences they have had as an AMEDD officer (officers who have recently returned from OIF/OEF may be especially beneficial in recruiting for future AMEDD leaders).

(7) Promoting the ANC and nursing by serving on the ANC Anniversary or Nurses Week committees within the hospital.

(8) MTF’s may consider doing a joint “Nurses Week” celebration with local area hospitals.

(9) During Nurses Week, promote the profession of nursing to a group of elementary school students.

(10) MTF’s may also consider extending invitations for the ANC Anniversary celebration to local hospitals and nursing schools in the community.

(11) Encourage officers at all levels to participate in health awareness events in the community (i.e. breast cancer awareness) or if they are sponsoring a health awareness event, open it up to the local community.

(12) Encourage the Junior Officer Council to participate in local community activities (i.e. Habitat for Humanity).

(13) Encourage all officers to share their Army story. By relaying their good news stories and "promoting service to country and taking care of Soldiers", this program would promote being a part of a world-class healthcare organization- the Army Medical Department.

(14) Teaching professional development courses at their facility, such as Preceptor Development, mentoring, etc.

(15) Writing articles for professional or lay publications about the ANC.

(16) Active involvement in local professional nursing organizations (e.g. committee membership, holding elected office, etc.).

(17) Contact their alma mater ROTC program with their most up to date contact info so that recruiters at the school can pass along e-mail or phone numbers to potential prospects.

(18) Submit an article for their hometown and/or college newspaper(s) describing their experiences as an Army Nurse.

(19) Set up briefing for spouses or family members of Soldiers in their facility to discuss opportunities for them to pursue a nursing career in the Army as an officer or a DA civilian.

(20) Promote partnership with Army Nurse Corps Association (ANCA) members and nearby ANC recruiters in the various regions to assist with presentations in schools, hospitals and at conventions.

(21) Become a big brother/big sister to an ROTC nursing student either at their alma mater or a nearby university.

(22) Provide presentations to local boy or Girl Scout troops to promote the profession of nursing, especially Army nursing.

(23) If a member of Sigma Theta Tau, contact the local chapter and offer to present a briefing about the ANC.

(24) Offer to teach a leadership class or provide a “field nursing” presentation at a local school of nursing.

(25) Participate in local running/walking events as an “ANC Team”.

(26) If participating in approved off-duty employment at local hospitals, promote the ANC to hospital employees.

\\Original Signed\\

GALE S. POLLOCK

Major General, AN

Chief, Army Nurse Corps

Wow!

They lost me on letter number one, letter number two was just a repeat of letter number one was it not?

But then the govment has always liked to use all these abbreviations for their programs (I had to put up with it for 17 years with the USDA). I doubt if the constituents (farmers) could understand it, but since when has that little thing ever influenced govment thinking?

Yep, things are getting desperate.

fritz

A big first step, and one which they haven't done, is to run their show the way the Air Force does. The AF is a pain in the rear on some things, but they do have better working and living conditions. The only thing is, the AF doesn't have the equipment for survival that the Army has. The AF was using reject Army tents and borrowed water buffalo, etc. just to be in the field for a week. The Army needs to look at why people would rather join the AF. Now, some of that can't be helped. The Army is hemorrhaging medical staff, and it is tough for them to keep up with the demand. They are really pushing their Physician Assistant Program right now.

I was looking at the pay scale.over a grand a month for a pvt.

Now if one has to raise a army of say 3 million, the payroll alone is huge.

Now if you factor in the cost of retraining as people leave, as they are doing, you can see why they would be having fits.

Rome paid for the legions out of loot taken in battle, we pay out of tax, I see some changes coming if we are keep an army in the Mideast for ten years.

Karl

You know the Navy has 400 full ride scholarships for medschool EACH and every year. The recruiter I talked to said they were lucky to fill half of those slots. Even if you only did your minimum time in the Navy to fulfill your contract that would put a doctor on the street with NO college loans years before his peers.

Right now all the services are hurting for skilled medical and engineering professionals. The Air Force doesn't even have a grade requirement for electrical engineers right now, just a warm body willing to serve.

But I think the answer to the Army's nursing shortage is not to attract more civilians, it is to educate more soldiers and promote from the ranks. The Army has an LPN program, why not develop a robust RN program? I realize that a four year degree is required to make it beyond captain, but a 91WM6 with 9 years of service who gets RN certified isn't going to make O4 before hitting 20 years anyways.

It would free up some 91W slots as well (currently at 100% with a waiting list at the recruiters station), which would allow more fresh meat into the Army, and fill a lot of the junior officer slots with skilled professionals who are looking to finish their 20 and retire. I have a feeling the Army will fill it's senior officer ranks with senior officer material, ie bachelors and masters degree holders.

Why don't you email that solution up the chain and see what happens?

Jimro

If I sent a mail it wouldn't get to who it needs to. Only face time would work, and that could conceivably happen sometime if the general comes around.

91W's do have the Green to Gold Program. They still hemorrhage people. Go away for a year overseas and wonder if your wife was faithful, or face divorce, or separation from your kids, well, most people won't do it.

On a different note- today I was at a seminar in Waco where I wasn't in uniform. There were recruiter Guardsmen there, probably 50 of them at this motivational conference with Zig Ziglar and others. I usually hold my tongue, but they were outside with no cover (berets), in BDU's and ACU's, not class A or B, as the reg dictates. They blew me off. I'm going to do something about this and they'll likely wish they hadn't ignored me. Put bellied Sergeant Major had his beret hanging outside of his pants, and glasses on the outside of his shirt, and a pot belly. Very unprofessional. I asked a major why no cover? He looked up in the air and shrugged his shoulders.

I heard on the radio this morning that drill instructors have been ordered to be "nicer" to recruits during boot camp. The studies have supposedly shown that all the hollering and stuff that goes on in boot camp contributes to a higher washout rate.

I can hear all the DI's grumbling from here.

Best not be Marine DI's.

I heard on the radio this morning that drill instructors have been ordered to be "nicer" to recruits during boot camp. The studies have supposedly shown that all the hollering and stuff that goes on in boot camp contributes to a higher washout rate.

I can hear all the DI's grumbling from here.

If being yelled at in Bootcamp too hard to take, they are gonna freak in a firefight.

Karl

Guess somebody's head will roll.

Perhaps, but I would not count on it.

I saw this sort of thing back in the 70's, the last time the NG and reserve was very short of troops.

Nothing mattered except keeping bodies on the drill floor.

Anything short of smoking dope in formation was to be taken into account against the personall needs of the unit.

Karl