Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Lathe question

bubbamauser

I read somewhere a while back that you can make an attachment so a barrel can go through the tailstock of a mini lathe can anyone share there experience with these. I am looking at the small harbor freight model for threading barrels and other gun work.

Thanks,

Roy

On a mini lathe, you will have a tough time getting the barrel through the head stock for a spider to work. You may be able to do some barrel work by removing the tail stock and using a steady rest, but I don't see how you could thread a barrel.

I have a 9" x 48" southbend that is difficult to do barrel work on. I have to do all my threading work on the far right hand side of the bed because I can't get the barrel far enough through the head stock (3/4" hole).

You may be able to thread a pistol barrel on a mini lathe, but I think it will be too small for a rifle barrel without lots of modifications.

My opinion only. I hope you can make things work.

Good luck.

I am confused on what you are trying to do on a mini lathe. Roy, I know you said you were looking for something to go threw the tailstock, did you mean the headstock? (what's actually doing the turning). What Kenny has suggested is what I have used in the past on my mini lathe. I have done some threading on pre contoured barrels that will fit threw the headstock. It does take a lot of work to make threads on a mini lathe. I haven't found a way to turn threads on a unturned blank barrel. It only took me a few times working on a mini lathe before I jump off in the deep end and bought a 12x36 lathe, It made life and gun work easier and a lot more fun to do.

I hope helped you out

Brian

You can do military and light-medium sporter barrel contours on the minilathe equipped with a spider like that from Lynn Standish's site referenced above. Making the spider will teach you a lot of what you need to know to thread barrels.

Barrels > 0.8" in diameter aren't going to fit through the spindle.

If you're going to get started with military and light sporter barrels, a mini-lathe will work, but trust me you'll find yourself wanting to work on thicker barrels soon.

many ways to skin a cat as they say i have a 12 x 36 but i don"t put anything threw the headstock....i thread every thing between centers...so it can be done on a mini IF bed is long enough....

George Washington warned against false patriotism: "Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism."

I have no experience with a lathe I did mean to say headstock. The one I am looking at has a through headstock of 5/8 I was under the impression I could feed a barrel in until it hit the the od of the barrel tighten it up and just move the tailstock over to it and thread, but like I said I am new to lathes and have never used one. The info I have is from the net if anyone has any recomendations for one at about $1000.00 please let me know about it ,the harbor freight one is about $400.00 but if i could use one for a little more that would give me more uses I would spend the extra. $1,000 is about the limit for while though.

Something like this LATHE would be a good choice for an inexpensive tool. Big enough spindle hole to do all but target (Bull) barrels. And just long enough between centers for sporter barrels for polishing & the like.

The 9" lathe has just big enough hole (.781") for sporter barrels in the headstock. And I think it is under a grand..

Their is nothing wrong in starting out on a mini lathe, it's a good way to start out and not costing you an arm an a leg. Your big expenses will be the tooling for the lathe. As you can afford it, buy good quality measuring tools and cutting bits. You can always do pistol and some rifle barrels, and you can tune most actions on a mini lathe. One other thing I would do, is buy some books to help you out as you go along. Once you get better with working on the machine you will want to upgrade to at least a 12x36 lathe.

Good luck

Brian

Guest Limpid Lizard

Lathes are like motorcycles. At first you think the 90cc motor bike will be all you ever need or want. Soon you realize everyone needs a large scooter. Hock the kids if you must, but buy at least a 12X36. LL

Guest Guest_MorgansBoss_*

"...make an attachment so a barrel can go through the tailstock of a mini lathe..."

This is an interesting concept. I'm trying to picture it in my mind and see all sorts of complications in keeping it true, etc. but it seems plausable if one were willing to go to the trouble. Possibly fabricating a steady-rest type devise to replace the tailstock quill??? One thing is certian though, the mini-lathe is a versatile machine. Buying one is a two edged sword. If you're new to machine work it will be great to get your feet wet, but its limitations will leave you wanting more. I like the comparison to motorcycles!