Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Baby its COLD outside!

MorgansBoss

It's not just the actual temperature here, but the damned persistant drizzle. Just enough to make life miserable for man and beast (cattle) with the temp never getting out of the thirties. The fools had a golf tournament here yesterday, they call it the Chile Open. When it's over, they serve a hot bowl of steaming chile.

While I like good chile, I also still have a few brains in my head. No chile is worth 4 hours of hitting a little white ball around in those conditions. I was there to see and hear all the grumbling about the weather, but they had the option of withdrawing. That don't happen too often in the suicidal game of golf.

While it may sound like I am down on golf, no, I am down on this miserable weather (and so are my cattle, my lifeblood).

fritz

Yea that 60 degree weather was nice here too but it's been about zero here the last two nights, old cows had three calves friday/friday night then had a pair of twins last night, she's claimed em' both but I'm gonna put one on a cow that lost hers last week, don't know how the old girls do it in this weather but at least it's dry here thats a big help.Got a bunch of heifers due to start cavin' March 1st ,had one abort a few weeks back ,some are springin' pretty heavy thought for sure they'd been tryin' to have em' the last few nights from the looks of things,lost alot of sleep over it this last week for nothing and will lose alot more before its over(checking them every few hours 24/7),but one of my biggest pleasures is just sittin' and watching good cattle in good grass,I could sit and watch em' for hours if I had the time,strange I reckon but different strokes for different folks. Jim

We had the range open yesterday the 18th for one day to accomodate some of the folks from the AR15.com/IL. board. It was -8F when I got there at 7:30 am and +8F when I left at 3:30 pm with about a 25 Mph wind from the northwest. I liked to froze my butt off even in Carharts, had disposable handwarmers in my gloves and my fingers still froze. Myself and the other Range Officer took turns on the line and in the Range House and in our trucks. To cold for me, never pulled a trigger, heck I would have had to take a glove off and I was not going to do that. Came home and got in a nice hot shower, enough for one day for this old fart.

Rebel49

The most popular term in my neck of the woods is "colder than a well digger's arse in Wyoming." And cold it 'tis. I've got around 3/16's of an inch of ice on my truck's toolbox from this constant drizzle that's been falling and just about as much ice on the wooden steps that lead up to my trailer's front door (which made for an interesting and unexpected rapid desent down to the pavement earlier this evening). Frankly, I like it when's cool outside and raining steadily. But cold and drizzly sucks!

On the flip side of the coin, it will be 110* outside with 85% humidity all too soon. I care for that about as much as I care for the freezing weather. But I guess there's an upside to most things depending on how you perceive them...

It has warmed up considerably this morning over what we had the last few days. Pushing -30 a couple mornings, but warmed up to about zero by the afternoon. The wind made it pretty nasty. We had about 10 above this morning.

Overall, we have had a very mild winter this year. Most of January never got below zero.

At least at this time of year we dont have another 9 months of it to look forward to.

Hate seeing all those dogs frozen to the fire hydrants.