Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Color Case Hardening

carzngunz

There was some discussion a while back on color case hardening and the lack of someone to do the work.

I had the opportunity to talk to Fred Cianciolo of Low Tech Gunsmithing at a show today. He seemed like a fine man with which to do business, but one thing really caught my eye on his table. He had 2 or 3 mauser actions that were color case hardened. These were REALLY great looking actions and I don't especially like that finish on a mauser action.

I got a price sheet from him but that finish says "price on request." I guess that's understandable considering all the variables that one could encounter.

His website is: www.gun-shop.biz

Phone: 1-866-308-4570

How's that for a phone number?

carzngunz --

I have a couple of very dear friends who swear by Fred's work, and I am considering sending one of my beloved Mausers to him for some work in the near future. Fred has an excellent reputation amongst gun people across many of the boards that I visit, and that alone speaks volumes, as we tend to be a somewhat finicky lot! LOL!

Color case hardening does have quite the variables, doesn't it? I understand Fred's POR approach around it, plus, getting really good work like that could result in "sticker shock" for some folks, at least until they price it out...good color case hardening is an art, and as such, deserves the esteem as well as commands a stiff fee.

Thanks for your mention of Fred, and "Low-Tech Gunsmithing", it's good to give the good guys a boost!

I'm sorry but low-tech and color casehardening of Mausers are two terms that don't belong in the same sentance in my book.

Hopefully he is farming these out to one of the few qualified people left doing these.

The only thing I'll add to this thread is something I have read rather than know to be a fact:

Doug Turnbull, who does amazing things with metal and metal finishes, got out of color case hardening Mausers a while ago because he encountered too many problems with excessive warpage during the process. He will still carbon blue a Mauser I believe. Again, I cannot state this to be a fact because frankly I can't afford to even the daydream while visiting his website.

Also, I have read that color casehardening does not provide as durable a finish and does penetrate nearly as deep as gas carburizing. But, its a heck of a lot neater to look at; excellent for a show piece.

Color case hardening is a little too fancy for my tastes, but I have seen many a fine firearm that was finished out like this.

I've heard many a good thing about Fred at Low Tech and never anything negative. It is my impression that if he says he can, he can and will do you right.

If you do find out anything about this color case hardening (i.e. approximate price), I would be curious to know a little more about it. Please do keep us posted.

Thanks,

Jason

I personally won't get around to following up on the color case hardening until after I get my single shot falling block rifle finished. That will be a pretty good while after I finally get started! I have been trying to start on it for about 5 years now!

If you are interested give Fred a call. I think you would enjoy talking with him and I am sure he can give you an idea of the cost.

As I said before the actions I saw looked great. He also had a mauser action with an octagonal barrel that he had tapered the barrel right into the receiver. Now that was different.

I live about 25 minutes drive from Fred and Jane. (no shipping!) Have had him to do several rifles for me. His bluing is very dark. Fine folks, does a lot of mausers. He has some sporter Turk barreled actions now for sale. Nice.

A man in Amarillo Tejas that does color case hardening told me a Mauser action in one of the original calibers was the only action he would do,but still would rather not,because of the heat required and he wouldn't be responceable for the outcome.He said he had about a 50-50 success rate on the few he has done.I think case hardening looks real good or like pure crap,no in between.When H&R done their single shot shotguns,every one was way different,with some even having a touch of gold or brass color in them,and you had to look through them to find the one you like.Some of the original Colt blackpowder pistols had case hardening that was so black with a little hint of electric blue thrown in,and they were and are beautiful.Jerry