Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Cartridges

roscoedoh

I may be misinformed, or perhaps I'm just hung up on the classics, but am I the only person who feels fairly strongly that all the useful rifle and pistol cartridges were invented a long time ago? Stepping further out on a limb, Europe gets the nod for inventing far more useful rifle cartridges than the US. I think the US holds the record for the most handgun cartridges, but then, we're a handgun culture.

Am I wandering the dark all alone?

Jason,

I've pretty-much come to the same conclusion as you - only the hard way.

I must have manufactured more than a dozen reamers for wild cats and improved cartridges, mostly 8 mm only to find that they really aren't much better performance wise than the stock cartridges. For example the 6.5 x 55 BJAI I made will push 140 gr bullets to almost 3000 fps, but will only group 3" at that velocity. To get groups approaching MOA I can't push them much more than 2750 fps and I could pretty-much get that accurately with the stock cartridge.

The 8 mm Steyr AI that is beginning to pay off looks like it's going to max out at about 3000 fps with the 185 CL. I bet I'm going to have to drop this down for case life and accuracy. This is a fairly significant improvement over the 8 x 57, but I'll probably never be in a situation where this difference is critical.

I suppose the best part of dinking around with all of these cartridges is that I've learned A LOT about making tools and chambering rifles. This experience is much more valuable to me than the rifles that I've produced (maybe this is why I'm having such a hard time producing a really high quality product - although I think I am making good progress).

When it comes right down to it there really isn't much need for anything other than a Mauser in 7 x 57 and a S&W in 38 spcl. Get an apeture sight and you can skip the scope too.

New cartridges means new rifles to shoot them means new money for the rifle manufacturers. Now that's a mouthful!

But it's the truth!

fritz