Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Rhineland .45 Win Mag

usmc0332

I've been looking at their 45 acp and 45 WM myself. I don't know the answer to your question but I'll pose a different one of my own. The rim diameters of the cases (acp and WM) are the same so I wonder if you could shoot the acp stuff in the WM like you do a .38 in a .357? I also like the way the magazine looks on the 45 WM much better. I wonder if you could modify the 45 WM magazine somehow to where it would fit the acp ammo properly? Probably would be a lot of work and not worth the effort.

These are cool looking rifles. I wonder what .45WM is capable of in a rifle length barrel?

No, you cannot shoot the acp in the WM chamber. These headspace off of the casemounth not a rim. If it were a rimmed cartridge then you could do it.

I'd like to get a hold of a .45 barrel. I have a 91 I want to convert to 45 acp just for kicks.

Guest corelock

I have a 93 I want to do. I was wondering about rechambering the 45 to 460 Rowland. THe mag well is not long enough on a 93 to go to the mag. bit since the Rowland uses standard 45 mags it should work. What pressure is the 93 rated to?

Hate to disagree w/ Z as I truly respect his expertise. But . The 45wm's that I have seen [only rhineland and thompson center contender] work really well w/ 45acps..[accurate too] nothing to do w/ the barrel really, it seems that the extractors are plenty robust to hold the case while the firing pin makes em go bang.. However I would strongly recomend against firing any cartridge in a chamber not specifically designed for it... Got that in a magazine someplace... really tho I would not depend on it working as it may not in fact be the normally reliable... MV

I built this 45acp Mauser in 2000, and it has been lots of fun.

$105 Shilen .452" barrel blank

$0 drill and tap

$0 bend the bolt

$54 at BIG5 for 1903 Turk

$20 #45 and #46 scope mount

$36 45acp thoater reamer

$17 .469" straight fluted reamer

$232

It will shoot a 4" 20 shot group at 100 meters with 230 gr. Montana Gold full metal jacket, 13 gr. AA#5, 1.275" OAL [460 Rowland load in 45acp brass]

I used a .469" reamer, becuase the Lee carbide dies is .467" and the brass springs back .002". The chamber is very close tolerance on the brass.

It weighs 17 pounds.

Jamie at surplusrifle dot com doctored the photo to get the rust and Brownell's sticker off the barrel image.

IPB Image

Just sent an email to Rhineland asking them if the ACP's would work in the WM chamber. Would be sweet if it works out they will but I'm expecting a "for safety reasons we cannot recommend....etc, etc, not that I blame them in any way. We'll see what they say!

Hate to disagree w/ Z as I truly respect his expertise. But . The 45wm's that I have seen [only rhineland and thompson center contender] work really well w/ 45acps..[accurate too] nothing to do w/ the barrel really, it seems that the extractors are plenty robust to hold the case while the firing pin makes em go bang.. However I would strongly recomend against firing any cartridge in a chamber not specifically designed for it... Got that in a magazine someplace... really tho I would not depend on it working as it may not in fact be the normally reliable... MV

Bapayton: YGPM. MV

usmc0332: The 45 WM will do all that the 44mag wil,,l while leaving a bigger hole!! The win mag is my second fav. straightwalled round, behind the 32 H&R which is very versatile indeed. $0.02 . MV

If I put my reamer in .898" deep, I get 45 auto, .960" deep and I get 460 Rowland, and 1.198" deep I get 45 Win mag.

The 45acp and 460 Rowland get 1700 fps at 50 kpsi and the 45 Win mag gets 2200.

100 yards down range, the 45 Win mag is doing 1700 fps, so the 45 Win mag has essentially 100 yards on the 45 acp handloads and 460 Rowland.

A 230 gr bullet at 2200 fps is going to kick.