Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Is the FBI indeed investigating EZ hacker?

FC

Reckon the fellows over at Bill's site feel like we do about loosing those precious previous posts? We lost an invaluable resource when our server when south on us. With as many members as Bill maintains over there, I'm sure they lost a lot of vauable stuff too. Bummer....

Well, whether or not he gets them back cannot be proven by me.

He has obviously added a requirement to be rigistered before you view. It used to be just to post.

Since I am not registered there anymore, and since my name is now shitt there, I cannot even view.

Some of you fellows may still be able to view. And if so, you can probably post. But be careful of what you say--because you may suffer the same fate?? as fritz.

I really hate to hear of anything bad happening to Bill's sites (if indeed it is).

But it couldn't happen to a more deserving fellow.

fritz

If I may comment on some of these things, as I am a moderator at Parallax Bill's site, I would be happy to offer a little rumor control.

First, I can't swear to this, but I suspect that the need to be a registered user at Bill's site is to reduce the number of users who peruse the boards and basically cause the site to rack up charges. In my opinion, it's not the lurkers who bear the costs of ezMoney's services, it's the regular members who cough up the dough for the community chest and become ezSupporters. If that's what's happening at Bill's site I think it's long overdue, and maybe it'll prevent the costs for running the site from escalating.

Second, yes, ezMoney lost Bill's site a whole lot of posts...supposedly by switching to another server, and the natives are restless. Many, many folks are very unhappy about the way that ezMoney is screwing this up. Entire months of posts gone or in some weird queue that no one understands...all the stickied topics posted by moderators/hosts in their assigned forums either gone or misplaced. No one at Bill's site is happy about this and we try really hard to encourage patience in this transitional process, but it remains to be seen whether people will stick around for what comes of it.

If that were my board I would probably have run out of patience long ago and either switched to another hosting service, tried-and-true or not! Or I would be screaming non-stop at ezMoney's staff. So, it's probably a good thing that it's not my board...I don't have the calm, inner peace that most board owner types have. LOL!

I do feel that a lot of valuable information was lost across many ezMoney boards due to the hacker incident, and now due to this server-switch. EzMoney has said that they've done all they can to restore boards from the hacking, and as we all know, it was hardly satisfactory...I am hoping that once the server-switch is done things will get back to normal, but that too remains to be seen.

I still think that FC did the right thing by dumping ezMoney...I would encourage more people to do the same...that'd hit ezMoney where they live!

FC...I'm intrigued, what makes you think that there wasn't a hacker? I have been wondering about whether or not this was the case as well.

As for Bill's allegiance to ezBoard...I can't comment on his motivation, though, I guess maybe he's just trying to get ezBoard to uphold their end of the bargain. Everyone has their limitations though...if he doesn't get satisfaction from them, I am guessing that he cares enough about the board to move it to another hosting service, or perhaps it's own server.

Well Emul, they are evasive, do not provide details on "the hacker" investigation, and I'm just getting really suspicious. Here is what I wrote on the Help forum:

The FBI does NOT chase hackers. If you go to the FBI site you will see that they basically farm out such stuff to www.ic3.gov/. I think EZBoard may have talked to the FBI, but it is smoke-in-mirrors to think that 007 is on the case.

Likely scenario:

The system was (and probably still is) streched too thin for the hardware and rather than investing in upgrading they allowed the system to limp along, without providing the backup services advertised (which would have required even more hardware) until the system failed.

Then they invented the hacker story to try to cover their irresponsible butts.

What is abundantly clear and not subject to speculation is that they never provided the level of service (e.g. backups) that they were paid for. This itself is at least unethical and if not criminal, it should be. Not returning community chest funds is thievery. And they are liars.

Why anyone would continue to do business with criminal, thieving liars I cannot understand.

FC and Doble Troble, I agree wholeheartedly with your comments, and I have thought essentially the same things that Doble Troble mentions in his post. I figured that ezBoard basically "allowed" the catastrophic failure to occur, thus clearing the slate in various ways...getting rid of boards that were inactive, while having already collected the funds charged for them, then with the coup they created during the "hacking incident" they collected even MORE funds via the community chests, which they conveniently don't/won't refund. In the meantime board owners are leaving ezBoard, without having used up their remaining "credit", and there's some more moola for ezBoard! Wow, how'd that happen? LOL!

And you're right about something else...in your world and mine, what ezBoard has managed to get away with is something that should be considered criminal. Unfortunately, ezBoard knows a couple of things about human nature, one thing is that the public has a short memory...those owners who stick with them are going to practically be praying (and paying!) to avoid another catastrophe, and those that leave to create new boards elsewhere won't really affect ezBoard's user base...since they're gone. Any newbie owners starting up are probably thinking that lightning won't strike twice.... All of these things could just work to ezBoard's advantage. Isn't that sad?

I had at one time considered starting my own board, and I figured that I would do it with ezBoard. But not now...not a chance!

Well, I just have one thing to say--Ezboard is better at censoring posts for words like "cock" (which is readying a weapon for firing) than protecting the interests of those paying for their shitty service!

fritz

Well, I do have one more question--how come Emul8 has posted on this page several times on this topic and so has fritz, but our post count remains the same (she has 38, I have 50)?

Edit: Now I have 51, but she still has 38.

One of the things that will keep me awake tonight until I find the answer.

fritz