Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Fox Season Begins In Ernest

dave h

Well after a couple of shakey nights I've started Fox shooting for the first time seriously since the mid 80's I've got a 200skin contract first up & the way I'm going I can,t see any problems with filling it at this stage .As I have curtailed any other shooting until I have cleaned that contract up (with the exception of meat for the dog )

My hornet is working overtime & I'm thinking of buying a .22mag for close range work .

Dave

Dave,do you skin your fox,or just drop them off at the fur trader?Back in the 70's when hides were bringing a premium here in Texas,the dealers paid more for the whole animule just because of folks screwing the hides up trying to skin them.Man I wish coyote and coon hides would bring something again.If a coon would bring 10.00,I know where I could make 100.00 a day until they ran out.Are your fox red's the British brought over for sport?Jerry

We Have to skin peg out & dry our skins . In the 70's & 80s I used to be able to get a Fox skin Off in just over 90seconds ! These days ? Well its taking me a little longer LOL Yes these are the Common Red Fox that the British brought over so the Gentry of the Day could still Hunt! Even if one is Forced to live in the Colonnies one .Must still be civilized what!!!!!!

Dave

Dave,going to work yesterday morning at 5,2 grey fox ran across the road in front of me and got me to wondering if ya'll had any other kind of fox over there.I reckon it's the first time I ever saw 2 together.Spring is in the air I guess.Jerry

Jerry ment to ask you this a couple days ago but what did coons bring down your way this year ?,they was $10-$12 tops here with a $7 average.I know they bring more the farther north you get but do your coons ever really get prime , and how big is a big coon in Texas ? 25lbs is the biggest I,ve ever caught around here,killed some over 40 up in Iowa some years back,that size can really make it rough on a poor ole hound. Jim

Jim,I haven't heard in a long time what hides are bringing.When they're not up enough to be worth your time,no one traps,so I haven't kept up.Back when we use to have winters,coons and coyotes were prime,but I doubt we've had enough cold weather in the last 20 years to grow hair on anything.You wouldn't believe all the coons and coyotes we have now days,bobcats too.They're getting so tame from making their living eating off everyones back porches out of the dog bowls,and every ranchete owner has a barrel of sweet feed,the most perfect coon grocies.I've heard of 30lb coons,but I've only caught or seen them that would push 20 lbs.A 30lb-er would look like a bear cub.I shot a bobcat about 15 yrs. ago that was so big,I had to order a linx manacin to mount it with.I was taking a taxidermist class at night,and before I could mount it,my wife threw my hide,wrapped in a plastic bag,away.She cleaned out the freezer and ask if any of the old deer meat and fish was any good,and I said no,pitch it.The day I went to get the hide to thaw out,I couldn't figure out where it went.I told her to chunk everything.

I've watched so many tourist down at Fredricksburg,in the Tejas Hill Country,that I fear being classed as one of them.There's something about a grown man,wearing Bermuda shorts down past the knees and pulled up under the arms,black nylon socks up to the shorts legs,sandles,and a tee-shirt that belongs to their little grandaughter pull over a gigantic belly that just tears me a new one.Seems like when they dress like that,it gives them a license to be a load mouth.I better get my sandles on and get busy,got a big day ahead of me.Jerry from the Dallas-Fort Worth Mexiplex

There's something about a grown man,wearing Bermuda shorts down past the knees and pulled up under the arms,black nylon socks up to the shorts legs,sandles,and a tee-shirt that belongs to their little grandaughter pull over a gigantic belly that just tears me a new one

You get them too ? Hell I thought we had the Patent on em over here! Ours also wear Base ball caps with the Names of USN Carriers printed on the front (even though their Aussies ) We call them the Grey gypsys over here as they retire & sell the family home & buy a bg 4x4 & the biggest Trailer home (caravan ) & take off round Australia at about 25mph ! John Williamson a country & western singer over here summed em up with a song named OLD FARTS IN CARAVAN PARKS !

Yes we do get the Grey fox over here but the red is more common . As there has'nt been any serious shooting done over here since the 80's I've accounted for 205 so far ! The average price is right down though at 15.00 per skin average

Dave