Military Firearm Restoration Corner

6.5x55 Varmint/target Rifle

Rhys898

Well guys,

I'm almost done with this one. She shoots fairly well as is but I'll be bedding the action and the first inch of barrel just to be on the safe side. Action is a Charles Daly commercial mauser action, Barrel is a Lothar Walther Art.724 Light Varmint contour 26" with a 1in8 twist, Stock is a Boyd's Warner Varminter in Midnight laminate that I finished myself. Davis May forged the bolt and Z1R installed the barrel for me.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I spent a long time working on that stock. Generally I would recommend against using Boyd's as the inletting is sloppy as hell. That's the main reason I'm bedding the action instead of just the barrel.

On the finish I used Watco's Teak Oil because they recommended it for denser woods and I figured laminate is pretty dense. I'm very satisfied with the way it came out. I mixed the Teak Oil 1 to 1 with odorless mineral spirits and sprayed it on using a Preval sprayer. Let it hang for 45 minutes in 75* heat, then wiped it down with an old tshirt. Sprayed it down again and let it hang for an hour. Then rubbed it down again. Was still slightly tacky to the touch. Hung it up overnight and by the next afternoon it was not tacky at all, just nice and smooth.

Jer

Looks great Jeremy. Seemed to shoot pretty good too. Nice job! I wish I could finish one of my projects, lol.

Very nice! I've never liked that color of laminated stock untill tonight,your rifle is a beauty!The metal and wood really go nice together.I guess it's the matte finish on the metal that trips my trigger.I still can't get over the fact that I like that stock as well as I do, man it's pretty! I know which direction my next project just turned. How about some details on the metal finish?And just how good does that LW barrel shoot?Thanks for the pics ,you did good and 6.5x55 to boot , you did real good Jer.You've really got one to be proud of there! Jim

Thanks Jim, The metal coating is called Norell's MolyResin, http://www.molyresin.com/ , and that is the gray color. I had that done by one of the guys on Snipers Hide. He goes by HateCa, his name is Randy and his prices are very reasonable, great turn around time too. If you want I can PM you his contact info. On the accuracy front I'm not the greatest shot in the world, but, I can consistantly hit steel at 400 and 500 and most of the time at 600. I think the rifle shoots great and its the nut behind the trigger thats causing the misses. For the price I dont think there is a better barrel out there. I think it was 190 shipped or something like that.

Jer

LL,

You are correct. The triggerguard and bolt came from a turk action that turned out to be a little soft. I replaced the shroud with one of the sunny hill commercial style ones. And the trigger is a Bold Optima.

Jer

Thanks for the link,think I'll order some. In the pics it looks like the bolt body & extractor are coated too,how does it seem to be holding up on the moving parts so far? The nut behind the trigger must not be to loose if your ringing the bell at 600yd's. Thanks Jim.

Jim,

Basically, every surface except the bore is coated in the molyresin. I've only put 100 rounds down range so far and there is some visable wear on the lugs but not too much. If you do decide to go the molyreson route, make sure you follow the Procedures and Tips found here http://www.molyresin.com/molyresin_tips.asp

Jer