Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bataan Memorial Death March

FC

Bataan Memorial Death March draws thousands

By Monte Marlin

March 29, 2006

WHITE SANDS MISSILE RANGE, N.M. (Army News Service, March 29, 2006) – The 2006 Annual Bataan Memorial Death March was conducted March 26 at White Sands Missile Range, N.M. The event drew nearly 3,900 service members and civilians to the Army test range in southern New Mexico.

Marchers represented all 50 states as well as the United Kingdom, Germany, Canada and Korea.

The march offers a 26.2-mile course and a 14.2-mile course. Both take marchers through sandy trails and washes. The longer course includes an elevation incline from 4,100 to 5,300 feet, and has been called one of the toughest marathons in the U.S.

Honoring WWII heroes

Now in its 17th year, the memorial march honors a special group of World War II heroes who were responsible for the defense of the islands of Luzon, Corregidor and the harbor defense forts of the Philippines.

The conditions they encountered and the aftermath of the battle were unique. The Soldiers fought in a malaria-infested region, surviving on half or quarter rations with little or no medical help, using outdated equipment and virtually no air power.

On April 9, 1942, about 75,000 Filipino and U.S. soldiers were surrendered to Japanese forces. The Americans were Army, Army Air Corps, Navy and Marines. Among those seized were members of the 200th Coast Artillery, New Mexico National Guard.

The prisoners were forced to march about 100 kilometers north in the scorching heat of the Philippine jungles to Camp O'Donnell, a prison camp. During the journey, prisoners were beaten randomly and denied food and water for several days. Those who fell behind were executed, and thousands died.

Survivors faced the hardships of living in the POW camp. Others were wounded or killed when U.S. air and naval forces sank unmarked enemy ships transporting prisoners of war to Japan.

Survivors show support

More than 30 survivors of the infamous Bataan Death March attended the memorial march, greeting participants at the start and finish lines.

Bataan survivor John Mims traveled from North Carolina to be a part of the day.

“It’s important every year that I be here,” Mims said, “I don’t care if I have to crawl, or how I have to get here. I want to be here because I owe it to these people who come out each year to support us.”

The next Bataan Memorial Death March is scheduled for March 25, 2007.

(Editor’s note: Monte Marlin works for the White Sands Missile Range Public Affairs Office.)

I have a friend in Carlsbad,NM that usually make this march. She's the same age as I am and does pretty well. She does this in honor of her father and others from NM. who did the Real Death March. Her father walked some of the route about 2 years ago with her, he's in his mid-eighties. He was my Uncles First Sergeant in the 200th/515th Coast Artillery.

Rebel49