Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Anyone Remember This Music Video?

FC

I haven't seen it in years, but I think that most people would agree that A-ha's video is by most standards (aside from musical, since the song itself is kind of stupid) one of the best music videos EVER!

And even though the animation was a variation on typical rotoscoping techniques, the artists that did this video did a fabulous job of it, didn't they? It looks pretty flawless to me!

Good find, FC!

I spent two years in college studying music, and while "Take on me" isn't exactly Mozart, it is a fundamentally sound piece of music. The chord structure is simple but effective, and the decoration provided by the synth is actually really good, reminiscent of "Teenage Wasteland" by The Who.

Jimro

I don't know what rotoscope is, but I think it is pretty neat. Somebody had a great imagination. I'm thinking this is about 20 years old. Hard to believe how quickly time moves. I like the song, but can't understand most of the words.

Ohhhh, crap. I was already old when the Police did that video and Sting looks like a baby.

Worse, I think Bowie, fritz and I are all about the same age (does that conjure up an image for you?).

I'm depressed, thanks, Tony.

I did enjoy the videos, although my wife is looking at me like I'm having an affair.

Ooo, "Rebel Yell"...Billy Idol! You know, I was a teenager when Billy came to the US with "White Wedding", and the moment I saw him I was totally in love! My dad just hated how much I was ga-ga over that guy. LOL! Of course, things change and people age, but whenever I look back at that time, or see these old videos, it's a hoot!

I was never too fond of the Police, or Sting...their music was a little too "samey" for me. Jimro may disagree, but as I was a concert-level pianist when I was a kid (and while my favorite composer was Beethoven, I did play a little Mozart here and there!), I would like to hope that I know a little about music too, though I didn't study it in the same ways. The Police were pretty formulaic if you ask me. Early Police songs like "Roxanne" or "Don't stand so close to me" were cool however.

As for A-ha, I don't really think that it's their music as much as their lyrics that were stupid...sorry about that, I misspoke. The synth connection to the Who's "Baba O' Riley"? Oh, yeah, in the bridges...I can "hear" it now.

I really still like a lot of '80s music...I have compilation CDs and I watch the anthology shows on VH1 when I can't find anything else to watch on TV, but at the same time, there was a lot of idiocy in the music of that era...but it doesn't make me enjoy it any less. I certainly like it a lot more than music today...for the most part.

Emul8,

I agree, most all Rock is formulaic 1:4:5:1 chord progression with some decoration tossed on top. And I agree, the lyrics leave much to be desired. I think the worst rock song ever from a lyrical standpoint is "My Sharona"

Every once in a while real musicians get together and play real music, like Jethro Tull or Metallica (believe or not Metallica can actually play in a minor key!) and pass themselves off as rock&roll.

The 80's were a particularly "dry" decade for rock innovation, too many formula bands and one hit wonders. There was a lot of good stuff mixed in amongst the muck, but not as much as much as the 70's. Disco may have reigned supreme in the 70's, but it was a great rock decade as well.

Unfortunately I was born in 79, so I had a lot of catching up to do.

Jimro

Oops, Billy Idol. Stand corrected. Told you I was old.

"My Sharona" yep, that was one that proves that you don't necessarily have to have anything to say to write a song. Just be obnoxious and repetitive. Kind of like Hip Hop.