Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Palm Sunday

Reverend Recoil

Yesterday was Palm Sunday. At Marez chappel the liturgy of the Mass was very short. One of our soldiers was killed Saturday. It was very sad. These brave men are no older than my oldest son, Michael. We are all like family in Iraq and we all feel the loss. This is the price of liberty that should never be taken for granted. With our thoughts of one of our own killed in combat, the readings of the 22nd Psalm, and the Passion, it seemed like we were at a funeral Mass. Before Mass was over we managed to cheer each other up some what. We all knew the risk when we volunteered and we still believe in the mission to protect America and to bring liberty to the good people of Iraq. Sometimes the mission is very hard.

Wifey and I were about 2 minutes late for 830 am Mass. The pastor begain with the homily and we thought we were late, 8 not 830, but he said afterwards he started with the homily first. Not to steal your thread, and we in Iowa lost one of ours in Iraq this weekend, but I could not help to notice the changes in Catholic mass.

After a 22 year hiatus I am returning to church. Still have the entire thing memorized except for the readings. I always thought they crucified Jesus with two "thieves" instead of revolutionaries or rebels. Barabous was a "murder" not a rebel. Of course I was not niave to the political situation but I cannot recall the words "rebels" or "revolutionaries" or someone charged with murder during a "rebellion" used before at Mass. The Passion also made it clear the the priests riled up the crowd to force Pilate to condemn Christ. Perhaps this was because of Gibson's Jesus Chainsaw Massacre.

RR, I did the readings and the Passion for three masses in a row today. Really pooped! Anyway every mass we do has a prayer for our wonderful troops serving in the Mid east. We want every one of you home safe. We too are devastated when we hear of the loss of one of our sons or daughters. I did what you are doing a long, long time ago in a place far way. I understand what you are saying. You really are heroes.

Twist, Mark (today's version of the Passion) has them as them revolutionaries (against Rome thus making them, well, not all bad). Matthew has the other two crucified as thieves and Barrabas as a murderer (thus any reconciliation with God or comparison with Jesus has more import). Depends on what book you're reading, it's all good, just different. That's why there's more than just one gospel.

Also they were written decades apart for different audiences in different places, with more or less Pauline influences in each.

WELCOME BACK, BROTHER. (I had a 20 plus year hiatus myself)

Brad