Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Another Ruger Old Army

RGRWJB

Well I just got back from another gun show. I saw a Ruger Old Army in like new condition for $190. I brought it home and did some cleaning on it and thought it was a nice gun. Anyone have any experience with these shooten irons.

Don't see them around my parts for under 200 unless they have been seriously neglected. When I was looking for one a couple of years ago 250-325 is what I was seeing used ones going for at gun shows. Saw one at the range awhile ago with a beautiful brass and wood shoulder stock attached to it. I tried to make conversation with the owner but he turned out to be an a$$hole.

• 3 months later...

I love mine. I thought I got a good deal at $325. Be sure to use .457 balls, which is what Ruger recommends if you never had one. Most of the pistols I've seen all take something a little different. Ruger's website has viewable instruction books and you can even see how old your gun is by the serial #. I was surprised to find that mine was made in 1984, and still in unfired condition. Being stainless probably helped keep it pristine too. Good luck with it. I've had quite a few revolvers, and the Old Army by far has the smoothest action of any.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PS-InstructionManuals.html

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PS-SerialNumberHistory.html

Here are some quick links.