Military Firearm Restoration Corner

.260 Rem Feed In 98 Mauser?

Guest RooterTooterShooter

I am toying with idea of building match rifle for NRA High Power competion on a 98 Mauser action.

I know this is not the preferred action for this application, but all of my tools and experience

is with Mausers, so here goes. I would like to build this gun in .260 Rem, which is popular for High Power competition, but I've read that it can be hard to get this round to feed well in the mauser. I could use

.308 an alternate. I've built a .308 sporter already and had no problems. Is it any harder to get .260

rem. to feed properly? Has anyone else attempted a project like this (match rifle)? It will be a challenge

for several reasons - most notably, fitting the rear receiver sight. Most competition sights are set up for Rem 700 or Win Mod. 70. Anyway, I really like the idea of winning (or placing well) in local matches with

a rifle that I can tell people "I built in my garage". Any feedback appreciated.

The 260 may feed great without modification, or may require some work.

Why not a 6.5 x 55. It's an accurate cartridge that will do everything if not more than the 260 will - and it will most likely feed like it was made for it.

Regarding the sight, it's straight-forward to install Weaver bases, and it seems like I've seen some nice target sights that mount on the Weaver bases.

Like DT said, the .260 likely would feed as well as the .308. Which is to say, sometimes it's easy and sometimes it ain't. It can be overcome but isn't always a drop in proposition. there are lots of good target receiver sights for the Mauser. Any that work on the Springfield will work. Lymans #48 will set you back more than the Redfield will.

Why not a 6.5 x 55.

I'm sure that the other guys will say, "what else did you to expect Thor to say?".

Yeah, well, seems I have a reputation for it, but I've just got to agree with Doble Troble on this. But let me add a few conditions. Use a Swedish barrel, not an aftermarket barrel. First of all they are seasoned by at least 50 years,which is the equivalent to cryogenics in that it relieves molecular stress in the steel.

Secondly, the Mauser machining process far exceeds any domestic barrel.

Thirdly, the ammo will feed through the 98 like it was made for it.

Fourthly, the Swede barrel will screw right into a K. Kale action. Okay, the K. Kale is not as polished as the K98, but it's just as strong and can be blueprinted just like any other Mauser. It may be hard to find a "new" 29" barrel, but I still see ads for the 23" M38 barrel. I doubt you would want the Carbine barrel for your purpose, but there seems to be a few of them left. OR, you might consider a 96 takeoff barrel. Lots of them are still in good shape, just might need recrowning and cleaning up.

I have several Swedes and will vouch for .240" groups with little effort, and none of them are blueprinted, just glassbedded. With a little work, I think they could make the competition grade. I built a Twede last year, a Swede barrel on a Turk action, but haven't had opportunity to put it through its paces yet, so can't say how it will do.

One of the first rifles I built was a Tweede with a 29" surplus barrel. It's my most accurate rifle. I did my best to follow Steve Wagner's excellent advice. But I built it as a light weight hunting rifle and not a F-Class, so I cut the barrel at 22" and turned it down pencil thin on the lathe - I know sacrilidge. It shoots ragged holes at 100 yds. Them Swedes built a good barrel.

I've used some other new old surplus Mauser barrels and have been pleasantly surprized with the accuracy of all of them, so maybe there's something to Thor's aging idea. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new large ring barrel in 6.5 x 55. With some barrel fitting and chambering care I bet you'll find you're competitive. The 6.5 x 55 IS an accurate cartridge - I'd put it right there with the 308s and derivatives (like the 260).

Buy an Adams & Bennet 260 barrel and try it. If it doesn't work well enough for your standards, sell the barrel on eBay for a slight profit and try the Swede route. With the 260, if might feed and it might now. If it does, you'll be good to go. If it does not, you won't be disappointed with the Swede.

I will say though, that in either case, you will want to buy a proper follower. Buy a Remington 308 follower from Brownell's for the 260. Or, if doing a Swede, buy a Swedish Mauser follower from Numrich. I couldn't get my 6.5x55 to feed properly until I applied the proper follower and once I modified it to close on the last round, all was well in the Kingdom.

Although most of us are pretty well taken with the Swede, I doubt you could wrong either way. The .264 caliber has no recoil and kills way beyond its abilities. I applaud you on your selection of the 260 Rem and wish you the best with your project. Please post pictures of your results.

Jason

One point I missed on the preference of a Swede barrel. It has a 1 in 7.9" twist. If you buy the A&B, it will be 1 in 9" twist. That's okay for the lighter bullets, but if you shoot the heavier bullets, the tighter twist will work best.

IMO, the 6.5 in any chamber is awesome. It does have the accuracy and penetration that is hard to beat, even with the lauded 308.

The 260 Rem and the 6.5x55 are near ballistic twins, with the swede holding 57 gr. of water compared to the 260 holding 54 gr. of water. Loaded to the same pressure levels, the swede wins hands down. I personally have a project rifle consisting of a vz24 action, and a A&B 6.5 cal f54 barrel blank that I'll be sending to Mark Skaggs to fit, and chamber in 6.5-284 Norma in a couple weeks. I also have a swede 6.5 x55 231/2" barrel ready to install into a k.kale receiver. I'll be fitting that myself. As said before, you gotta love those 6.5 cal rifles.

Spiris

Thanks for all the advice! Based on what I'm hearing form you guys, I'm starting to lean toward the Swede barrel idea (I was going to use a Brownells/Shilen short chambered barrel). Where is a good source to find takeoff Swede barrels? I'd much prefer to have the full rifle length barrel instead of the 23" carbine barrel, if possible. I have a Swedish Mauser Rifle, but it's all matching serial #'s and I cringe at the idea of sacrificing it for this project! I do have a K.Kale Turkish receiver that I can use, if I can find the barrel.

Lothar Walther makes some fine lapped precision barrels. They are long chambered so you do not need a reamer. The freebore is shorter so it is easyer to seat lighter bullets close to riflings. Twist is 1"-8.07"

I got the Lothar Walther Art.724 in 6.5x55, it's 25.6" long and .768" at the muzzel. This purchase was by far the best $190 I've ever spent. Shoots great, looks great. A shining example of German craftsmanship at a stellar price.

Jer

maybe there's something to Thor's aging idea.
Doble Troble, I missed that line when I read it last week. Just so you know, I'm aging, and don't want a barrel younger than me.(:-) That means it's got to be at least 60 years old. hehehe