Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Ruger 30 Carbine

hrc

My wife bought me a used Ruger 30 Carbine as a christmas present. It has a lot of holster wear but it is in good shape. I have only fired a box of shells through it. It is accurate but it is the loudest pistol I ever shot. I fired it without earplugs only once and my ears rang for an hour. Checking around the internet it seems that this pistol has a small cult following, but has a low resale value. I was wondering if anyone has ever done anything with this pistol, such as rebarreling and re chambering to something like .32-20. I'm just testing the waters, like everyone else I need another project to start.

I bought one in the early 70's when they first came out and it was by far one of the biggest pieces of junk I ever owned. I like Ruger revolvers, currently have two, have had several others over the years I've horse traded away. The 30 Carbine however was nothing much more than a real pile of ill fitted parts.

This is my first Ruger pistol but I have handled a few and I agree that it is not as nice as other rugers. One chamber is sticky and the cylinder is rough to install compared to others. I hate to get rid of it since my wife bought it (I don't want her to stop buying me guns) and also due to the fact that it will probably be tougher to trade off, but I will keep looking.

I think mine was just a lemon and I was really disappointed. I recall being really enthused reading about it's introduction in a gun rag, waiting months and paying a good price. The real battle was getting the dealer to take it back. I wrote Ruger, they contacted the dealer and I was finally given a refund. Even after the contact from Ruger the dealer was hesitaint and wanted to give me an in-store credit.

A relative of mine has one and loves it. He has the later version, mine was the earlier pre-recall models. At my recomendation he had his cylinder's interior walls polished by a smith and it seemed to help with the sticky cartridges. He claims after the polishing the only extraction problems he now has is with surplus ammo. He used to use it for Javalina hunting and best I recall he was sucessfull with it.

I've noticed some Rugers the cylinder seems to fall right into place and others can be a real pain. My 357/9mm Blackhawk the 357 falls right in place. The 9MM cylinder would always test my patience. Doesn't matter anymore though, the 9MM cylinder was stolen or misplaced after a housefire. I never used it enough to justify the cost of another cylinder. Ruger wont sell the cylinder, they require the revolver be sent to the factory.

Don't get me wrong, you have a nice gun, I would like another 30 Carbine but I will never forget the lemon that I had. Before I finished a box of ammo the ejector housing came loose, the rear sight blade disappeared, a grip cracked from the screw being loose and cross threaded and the final straw was having to beat the expended cartridges out with a drift punch. The trigger pull was so light I considered it dangerous. Every Ruger I've had since I can't recall ever having a problem or needing a part.

I've had one for 30 years and have never had any trouble of any kinda from it.Like hrc said,it's the loadest pistol I've ever shot.I don't know if it's the loudness or the high pitch,but God almighty will it ring your ears.I had lots of trouble with reloading my shells,the brass stretched kinda fast.I can't remember how much powder I used,but Unique and 110gr Sierra's at the minimum load in my old Sierra manual was the most accurate.If it wasn't for the high pitch muzzle blast,it'd be one of my favorite can killers.My brother bought a .44mag Blackhawk in '72 while in Alaska,and it was like the one AZ described.Some of his buddies ordered pistols at the same time and theirs were top shelf,so the dealer took it back and gave him another,and he still has it and has shot a pickup load of shells through it without ever a hick-up.Jerry

Hello I'll try my first post on you nice folks. Congrats on your Xmas gift. I had a Contender, and the Ruger in 30 carbine. Both chambers were oversized. The Ruger only had a couple of cylinders that would fire. Reloading for them was a pain. It seemed like half the time the bullet would fall back in the case. Tried RCBS,Lyman,Lee dies. got the TC working. On the Ruger I shot WW 32-20 out of it. They fireformed nicely and with a lot less noise. Still had trouble with crimping. It was worth the trouble they were the most accurate handguns I've ever shot. When the Kids left home I traded the Ruger and some cash for a Python. The Colt was real easy to reload for and great resale value but not as accurate for me. The only barrel in the TC that shot better was in 5mm rem. mag. It might be my eye sight has changed in the last 20 or 30 years since I've seen a box for sale.

Well, I took the pistol back to the "range" or trash pit rather and I hit just about everything with it (oil bottles, smoke detectors, etc). I just put in my ear plugs real tight, What I should always do anyway. I am going to keep it as is for now....Its definately cheaper that way. You can't work on all your crazy ideas, I gotta finish some first. I might try it on some groundhogs this summer.

• 4 weeks later...

The .30 carbine load data is for the most part "hotter" than what you will find for .32-20. I have a .32 H&R mag that I load to .30 carbine ballistics, It is impressive. There are lots of good bullets for the .30 carbine and brass lasts a longtime. Use small rifle primers in it and "lil gun powder and you'll be very happy I'm sure.

One thing I've learned is that if the wife gave it to you learn to love it as-is, like you do her. :-)

Congrats.

• 2 weeks later...