Military Firearm Restoration Corner

.35 Rem. In Mausers?

LC Smith

I have a Mauser action marked, "Fabrica De Armas", Oviedo, 1901. I believe this to be a '93 action. I have heard of '93s being barreled to .35 rem. Does anyone have any experience with this conversion? Is it considered safe? How does the .35 feed through the Mauser? Thankyou.

Mausers seem to feed 7.62X39 OK. The .35 Rem is between the 7.62X39 and the '06 headsize (.4600")

Should be a good choice. Pressures are lower, so this might be a better fit for the Spanish Mauser.

What barrel are you using? The .35 Rem uses lighter bullets than its other .35 caliber cousins... I'd want a slower twist than a .35 Whelen or .358 Win.

Hodgen lists 150 to 220 grain bullets, with the 200 grain being the most prevalently listed.

Given that 35 Rem isn't all that available you might consider the 9.3x57. No mods required, more power, and at pressures the action is designed for. Factory ammo is available as are components and at reasonable prices.

Lothar walther make ssome of the finest pre-chambered barrels in 9.3x62 for about $190. These are lng chambered and don't require a reamer to properly headspace them. That is usually less than you can get a short chambered barrel & reamer for.

A 286 grain bullet at 2100 fps or a 250 at 2300. Stout but not punishing. Beats the 35 rem without even breathing hard. Though some Swede M96's were chamberd in 9.3x62 I would limit the 93 action to the 9.3x57. The 9.3x62 is loaded by Norma at only 50,000 psi and accuarte powder data uses that limit. These loads would be safe in the pre-98s too.

If you still have to original un-cut stock for it you might want to consider shaping it into a full length Mannlicher type. It used to be real popular thing to do in the 50 and 60's. Haven't seen one in awhile but years ago used to see them at gunshows. Double triggers and express sights were also common on the 93/95 sporters but at today's prices it would likely run the price up way to high. I recall seeing some that were really well crafted and beautifull.

As a suggestion contact Shaw and Skaggs to get a price tag in the ballpark for an installed barrel. I can highly recomend Shaw. The cost might be more than you want to spend but you will get your money's worth. I haven't used Skaggs but have talked to him on the phone. Skaggs is pretty sharp, he can install the Walther barrel or the lower cost A&B. He apparently is pretty busy, doesn't have alot of time to spend on the phone. If he hurries the conversation along it's not that he is being rude, he is just trying to stay caught up. Skagg's prices are consideralby better than Shaw's. Between the two you should get a pretty good idea of the cost.

If this is your first project, good luck!! Best advice is to keep your first as simple as possible. Use the experience gained to build that dream rifle on down the road. If you first project turns out you will be hooked for life.

I don't have Skaggs number handy, maybe somebody can provide a link or phone number.

http://www.ershawbarrels.com

isnt the 6.8 grendel or rem 6.5 SPC cartridge based on the 35 rem? i tried to find info on the 35 rem, but it wasnt in my hornady reloading book. i was looking for case head size and COL and all that.... i thought one of the new rounds 6.8/6.5 would be neat ona mauser.

Thanks, sounds like the LW in 9.3x62 is the way to go, since I have a vz-24 action. Shaw does not list either 9.3 caliber on their site, so I have emailed to ask. Darn, I sit down last night for a little surfing, and now it is going to cost me!!! I was wondering what to do with this action, and now I have my answer!!!

thanks!!

Thanks, sounds like the LW in 9.3x62 is the way to go, since I have a vz-24 action. Shaw does not list either 9.3 caliber on their site, so I have emailed to ask. Darn, I sit down last night for a little surfing, and now it is going to cost me!!! I was wondering what to do with this action, and now I have my answer!!!

thanks!!

You will like the 9.3x62. Think 35 Whelen only better. The LW barrel is super. Keep us posted.

isnt the 6.8 grendel or rem 6.5 SPC cartridge based on the 35 rem? i tried to find info on the 35 rem, but it wasnt in my hornady reloading book. i was looking for case head size and COL and all that.... i thought one of the new rounds 6.8/6.5 would be neat ona mauser.

IPB Image

The 6.8 SPC is based on a shortened .30 Remington case.

I had thought about building a Mauser in .35 Remingtom myself. The .35 is still a fairly popular deer cartridge in my area. Granted, it's a woods cartridge in the same class as the 30-30, but the 200 grain .35 caliber bullet really get the job done at woods ranges.

Regarding caliber choices for small rings, anyone consider the .300 Savage?

GPC has Marlin 20" .35 Rem barrels for $65.

A bushing made to the same taper and diameter as the chamber area on a #1 Shaw barrel contour would be interesting.

Thread the ID of the bushing for the Marlin and thread the OD for the Mauser in one step. Soft-solder the Marlin barrel into the bushing and thread the bushing into the Mauser.

The Marlin barrels are pre-chambered I think. That would need to be verified. The bushing could be "timed" so any dovetail would be on the bottom of barrel, hidden in the channel.

Is this realistic? Dunno. A lathe would be needed, but cutting a chamber shouldn't be an issue.