Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Tyrvr Were Are You At?

karlunity

I have not seen TYRVR of late.

Last I heard, he was pleading, in sackcloth and ashes barerfoot in the snow, at the door of the local Marine recruiter, repenting of his foolish Army ways and praying to join my truely great and wonderful Corps. wink.gif

Karl

laugh.gif

whatever Karl but I don't think so!

I saw him elsewhere as he finished a friends rifle over in Oregon and said it had shipped. But that was yesterday and I've not seen any other posts or seen him elsewhere.

You want me to email my bestest buddy and see if he's doing okay?

I was going to anyway.

Karl, I spent the weekend at the range. Each year the state of Virginia sponsors a competition similar to the olympics called "The Commonwealth Games" besides the usual individual and team events associated with track and field, there are shooting events, I set up and ran the metallic silouhette matches, Saturday we hosted modern rifle shooters and surprisingly...a large percentage of the rifles used were C&R/surplus military pieces the largest segment being K31s scoped and un-scoped, the second and third place winners used K31s we also had a CETME and several M1As and Garands...one 03, and one Krag (mine)

Sunday we shot black powder catridge rifles, Sharps, Ballards, rolling block Remingtons, Hepburn designed Remingtons and a few Stevens copies made by CPA in Pennsylvania.......it was a long match......lasted late into the day and with temperatures in the low 90s.....it was a test.....but...we made it all the way and got some good press coverage and made some money for the Virginia Amatuer Sports Association, I hope that next year I can incorporate a military rifles only match, be fun to see nothing on the line but old warriours.

I knew the minute I threatened to send an email bestest would show up!

Sounds like you had a blast Tye and glad to know you made it through the weekend.

Email will be headed your way tomorrow - I got carried away on another paint job tonight. (I really have got to quit remodelling the house).

n my toes? don't think so.....we did not do ballet in the U.S.Army, strictly a Marine thing, in fact I think that Chesty Puller got his name from tugging at his leotard.

TYRVR

Sir, It seems that one again you poor Army fellas have been misinformed.

The Leotard was the brain child of the noted Army officer Leo Tard.

It seems that in 1937, Gen. at that time Col. Tard was stationed with the State Dept in Moscow and spent some time with the Boshoi (sp).

Well, in any case when he was returning to the USA, there was the matter of the pink tutu.

Even for the Army that was a bit over the top.

But Tard was on the short list for his star.

He was they say very "close" to a noted Army General so in order to keep him happy The Leotard (Item # 87568990787-99 personal garment protective)

was issued to the Army.

Helpful Karl

Glad to see that your match went well.

The best way to protect our rights is to get as many others as possible to share in them.

.I remember Col. Tard.....had a brother as I recall, Commandant of the Marine Corps......went by his initials, R.E. Tard.

TYRVR

Nope. It is true the Gen. Tard had a brother but alas R.E. left the Corps and went over to the Army in 47.

He was a L/cpl at the time but the Army was so impressed to have a Marine, even ole R.E., that they gave him the equivalent Army rank ..MajGeneral cool.gif

Take care

Karl

Being the BIG fella that I am, I will say that I for one have nothing against Rangers, indeed with a bit of guidance they could have been Marines.

Alas poor fellas, there but for the grace of God and Parris Island go I.

Noble Karl