Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Hand Reaming

dukhntr

About to hand ream my first A&B Barrel. I believe that there was something written in one of the old posts about stripping the bolt, when reaming the chamber, and checking with the GO Gage. Is this correct? Any other things to watch out for?

Thanks for any help.

Dukhntr

Go slow. You won't make much progress on your first few checks and then after one turn of the reamer you will have gone too far. (at least that always seems to happen to me).

Have something available to clean all the chips out of the chamber before you try the go gauge.

Strip the bolt of all components including the collar that holds the extractor (I learned this the hard way too). It will get stuck somewhere you don't want it to.

Don't force the bolt closed on the gauge. Single finger pressure or gravity should suffice.

Don't turn the reamer backwards.

Have one of those extension magnets (like an old car antenna) to pull the gauge back out of the chamber. It will save you a lot of trouble pulling everything out of the vice to dump it out every time you check your progress.

I use a 3/8" drive extension to drive the reamer (mount it backwards) with a 1/4" adapter so I can use my tap handle. I wrap some tape around the reamer head to hold it together.

I'm sure there will be more suggestions.

OD: Thanks for the reply. That was what I was looking for.... the fact that I needed to completely strip the bolt before starting the reaming process, and then use a stripped bolt to chek the headspace.

Z: Yes, I will ream through the receiver. Als, no lathe at this time.

Thanks Again.

Dukhntr

In that case OD has pretty much given you the rundown.

You can chamber by hand without with installing the barrel first. No lathe needed.

Were I to hand ream, I would do it simply by holding the barrel in a vise and reaming. All you need is a go gage, depth mic, and something to hold the reamer with. Cut the chamber so that it indicated .002" deep and when snugged up tight you will have zero headspace. One nice thing about reaming off the receiver is that even if you go deep by accident you can measure exactly how much you went too far. On the receiver it is just a guess and you will also need a no-go gage.

Go slow, measure twice, clean the reamer every .050" and make sure the chamber is spotless when you measure with the go gage. Remember, without a lathe you are stuck if you go too deep. Slow and steady wins the race.

You will do fine.

And now for a walk on the wild side.........

I don't take the extractor off the bolt. I do final ream with the barrel installed. I have "heard and read" about potential problems from using an unstripped bolt, but I have never experienced any of them. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to the error of my ways.

Clemson

And now for a walk on the wild side.........

I don't take the extractor off the bolt. I do final ream with the barrel installed. I have "heard and read" about potential problems from using an unstripped bolt, but I have never experienced any of them. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to the error of my ways.

Clemson

I doubt it. If after all that reading you don't get it, then I doubt we will convince you.

I think OD said it well when he said you must be able to FEEL the bolt close and do it with minimal pressure. Have you ever noticed how many bolts close easier without all the running gear attached? Well, I suppose not, since you never take it off. Try it, it is enlightening. Also, as OD said, that collar can hang up when you least want it to. Sure, it's easy to unstick but the last thing you need when chambering is just one mor ething to worry about.

And after you're done reaming the chamber, would you want to try to take some emery clothe and polish the chamber and chamber mouth for smooth feeding?

I wanted to throw this idea out there to help with leting you know when you are getting close.

Unscrew the barrel a turn.

Headspace to that.

Turn it in 1/4 turn.

Headspace to that

Turn it in 1/4 turn

Headspace to that.

You get the idea, two more 1/4 turns and you are done.

I know an A&B is supposed to be .05 short and one turn is 1/12th of an inch.

I don't want to do all the math.

The point is that you get the chance to see it coming in.

As Odies Dad mentioned and happened to me, no sooner

are you there and you've gone too far.

At least this way you get a better feel for when you are getting close.

Tinker

Dukhntr, PM sent. Kinda long and rambling...

Monte: PM sent back. Thanks again for the help.

Tinkerfive: Thanks for the post! I can now see the wisdom of your post. I got it done last night. The bolt closes more (but not all the way) on the NO GO gage than I wanted it to, but it still (thankfully) will not close on the NO GO gage. Tonight, I remove the barrel and debur the chamber mouth and put abevel in that area. I will also polish the chamber, as set forth above. (Thanks Roscodoh and Monte 6ab for these ideas).

Thanks to all for the help.

Dukhntr