Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bolt Work

trobi

There are probably a ton of people who can do a fine job. I deal with Fred at: www.gun-shop.biz He and his wife Jane are in Simpsonville S.C. They live relatively close to me. I am satisfied with his work and prices. He keeps Brownell's bolt handles in stock. If you want a Lilja barrel approved man he is David Tooley, 3317 Candlewick Way, Gastonia N.C. 28054. Phone 704 864 7525. He does fine work but be ready to get off some green ($). Probably will be more suggestions.

Guest Guest_bilurey_*

I have ordered bolt handle jobs from 3 individuals who advertize regularly on Ebay, all offer forged bolts. The results were not what I had hoped. Forging shortens the shaft until it relembles pigmy genitals, none had the proper cuts on the front edge of the bolt root for camming and avoiding bashing the top inside cut of the rear ring. Curves and flats not crisp as with DWM or FN commercial models.

I bought a few MarkX bolts, better buy complete bolt and trigger due to shortened cocking cam and special cocking piece, as well as special trigger required. Was dissatisfied with polishing, relative to any Brno or DWM military contract polishing.

Stripped FN commercial bolts require a morgage but are worth it.

Finally found the answer, z1r. Best professional job I've seen in years, equal to FN commercial. He did modern and old style welded handles, with all the proper cuts and clean crisp lines, I was really pleased.

Be prepared to take a number, word has already gotten around. Bill

PS When he finishes my other work, I'll let you know something else he does a professional job on.

Guest Guest_Rhys898_*

I have ordered bolt handle jobs from 3 individuals who advertize regularly on Ebay, all offer forged bolts. The results were not what I had hoped. Forging shortens the shaft until it relembles pigmy genitals, none had the proper cuts on the front edge of the bolt root for camming and avoiding bashing the top inside cut of the rear ring. Curves and flats not crisp as with DWM or FN commercial models.

You probably did not deal with Davis. I'll admit most forged bolt handles do come out really short. But, I've held all of the three bolts that I have gotten from Davis up next to factory bolts from winchester, remington, and browning and Davis' forged bolts are every bit as long.

Jeremy

One reason the forged military bolt handles look "stubby" is the ball diamter; a military ball is usually larger. I measured one of Davis' handles against a MarkX. From the centerline of the bolt to the farthest tip of the ball, the measurements were relatively close (under 1/64"). The Davis handle was straight down (as requested) and the MarkX was swept back, so the difference may have been about an 1/8" or a bit more had I swept it back. Despite dimensionally being the same overall length, the military bolt visually looked much shorter.

Guest Timan

One of the dangers of forged bolts is deformation. Another is softening of the metal, especially the camming surfaces. I've seen plenty come through my shop that had the camming surfaces, especially on the front like Bilurey said, deformed such that extrcation was difficult. The surface was not soft, the helix had been deformed during forging. I've also seen worse. With the ready availabilit of tig welders that isthe way to go. Forging is prefered by those who want high output with little effort or expeniture.