Military Firearm Restoration Corner

What Works With 8x57 Ballistic Tips

usmc0332

I have been getting good groups with 175g sierra (H4985 & Varget)and 200g Speer bullets (H4895). 3/4 to 1" groups at 100 yds. I have not been able to get accuracy with 180g ballistic tips. This is with a Turk sporter 21" barrel. Any suggestions appreciated. I have loaded long and short OAL.

Those are excellent groups for a Mauser (or pretty much any hunting rifle).

You might try a slower powder, maybe something like 4350.

If the Sierra and Speer bullets are game bullets, you're in good shape for Fall, but I definitely understand wanting to get the BTs working.

I might be thinking wrong about this, but I think the oddball is operator error. I wish I had the patience to wait between shots. I have improved a lot with doing more shooting. I did not bed this gun as it fit the original stock so well. I also so far like the 2 stage trigger. Anyone have any experience with the 180g Barnes bullets?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/usmc0...0grainSpeer.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/usmc0...grainSierra.jpg

This has been about as good as it gets for me with H4895 and Varget with the BT bullets. These were the bullets I wanted to work. I was hoping for better before trying the Accubonds for bear hunting.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/usmc0...180NoslerBT.jpg

At 225 yds very hot day, no waiting between shots

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/usmc0...ips225yds-1.jpg

Keith,

All of those groups are hunting good. The Speer and Sierra groups are excellent. If it were me I'd plan on using the Speer or Sierras.

It's possible that the BTs just aren't going to shoot in your particular rifle. I've never hunted bear and so don't know if the standard cup and core bullets are marginal.

The regular bullets are probably just fine. So is the Winchester .30'06 I always used for deer hunting. I guess I just need something to tinker with. I guess that is what makes this stuff so fun.

Never hunted black bear or care too either, but the consensus is that they need a little heavier bullet than deer.

That 200 gr. speer should be the right medicine for them, and your mauser groups them pretty good. I would sight them 1 1/2 " to 2" high at a hundred and you'll have a serious 200+ yard zero. Your 47 gr. (if I read it right) load is a good stiff one, and should be giving you about 2500 fps give or take out of that 21" barrel. More than any average black bear can take with a good hit. Good hunting.

Spiris

• 3 months later...

I used Speer 200grn and H4895. The load worked good on a deer, but never got a chance at a bear. I also deer hunted with 170grn Hornady RN. I finished a 90lb buck fawn we chased for 2 1/2 hours. The bullet passed from jaw to hip. When the bullet struck it did a 180 degree back flop. Won't do that again. My daughter was proud of her deer, but declined on field dressing. My mess I cleaned it up and saved the meat.

Keith,

My only answer for you is that you'll have to play around with it and see if you can find a load. Its been my experience that there are some combinations that will not work no matter what you try. I love Varget and load it for everything but you might buy a couple cans of different powders just to play around with. I used to proclaim Varget as the best thing since sliced bread; I now use IMR 4350 for just about all my military calibers. My 30-06 loves it. My dad's 8x57 loves it too. There are a whole lot of variables to work with before you should give up and move on. Stay persistent and keep at it.

Also, try some Hornaday Interlock bullets and see if you like them. They're what I'm carrying hunting this year and for a hunting bullet, I find them pretty accurate. And they are very reasonably priced.

Good luck and good shooting,

Jason

Today about twenty powders exist in the range suitable for the 8mm mauser. imr 4064, reloader 15, vv 150 vv140, H bl-c(2), vv135, ramshot hunter, ramshot tac, h 414, win 748, imr 3031, 4350's4350 is the slowest I would go for the 8mm mauser. There is just not enough room for anything slower. Some times a gun just doesn't like a bullet. But with the choice in compenents these days there is something that can make it shoot decently in your rifle. MS8mm